PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Heavy Feeding

Steve...
11-16-2014, 04:18 AM
What does everyone think of heavy feeding for our fish? I have slowly increased the amount of feeding in my tank and noticed my fish are happier and of course fatter. Are there any possible issues with heavy feeding if proper filtration is in place? How much feedings would you guys consider heavy?

kien
11-16-2014, 05:06 AM
I have no idea what "heavy feeding" would be, but I feed my fish 3 times a day. :noidea:

Aquattro
11-16-2014, 05:54 AM
I feed appropriately, I think, with 3 to 5 feedings per day.

Steve...
11-16-2014, 06:03 AM
I guess Im in line with you guys then.. Im doing about 4 to 5 feedings a day with a variety of food. I guess this isn't considered heavy feeding then :)

eli@fijireefrock.com
11-16-2014, 06:38 AM
WoW you guys are wack or maybe I am wack.
I feed my fish ounce maybe a treat and make it twice a day,I suppose thats low feeding,yes before anyone starts to bombard me :biggrin: my fish are healthy and fat all 100+ of them.
I believe as long as you have enough bacteria to break down the food or by-product from the leftover food or fish then you are ok.

The Guy
11-16-2014, 06:47 AM
I feed my tanks twice a day, morning some pellets & garlic enhanced flake. In the evening they get frozen brine & Pacifica Plankton.
And of course nori every day or two for the tangs.

Proteus
11-16-2014, 06:48 AM
I use to feed once a day but found coral was suffering. I increase feeding to twice a day plus doubled up on amino acid and still have undetectable po4

kamloops_reefer
11-16-2014, 06:27 PM
twice a day for me if they are lucky - I just consider that these guys are opportunits in the wild and they probably get a lot more in one sitting they they do all day in the wild.

but of course its always fun to feed them as everyone likes to come out and interact

Dearth
11-16-2014, 06:38 PM
i feed my fish 2 or 3 times a day depending on whether I am feeding then frozen or flake food

mihaivapler
11-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Twice a day,frozen brine shrimp and another 3-4 time during the day I feed veggie pellets. I go through a big slab of brine shrimp in 2 weeks, and my fish are fat as pigs and the corals are growing like crazy some sps double in size in one month, and I don't feed the corals separate,so I think overfeeding does have benefits on fish and corals.I keep a 20% water change every 2 weeks with a good skimmer and gfo...

reef-keeper
11-18-2014, 10:04 PM
I feed mine twice a day with newly hatched brine shrimp.

mikellini
11-19-2014, 01:06 AM
I guess Im in line with you guys then.. Im doing about 4 to 5 feedings a day with a variety of food. I guess this isn't considered heavy feeding then :)

I think you can't quantify heavy feeding by how often you are feeding, but rather how much (total) you are feeding.

If you are feeding more than your fish can eat in a 5 minute span at any one time, then you're probably feeding too much. However, that might not be enough if it's only once every two days, or even once a day. I think it would be better to split the amount your fish can eat in 5 minutes into two, and feed twice daily.

Easier said than done sometimes when it comes to frozen foods. I feed pellets every day in the morning (only as much as is eaten in a 5 minute span), and add to that a cube of frozen every second day (most of it gets eaten). I would say that this is 'moderate' feeding; I've been thinking of adding pellets to the afternoons I don't feed frozen, but on the other hand, there really is no need at this point. What I'll probably do instead is add an algae grazer ring or some nori on a clip on those days, once I get my Kole tang and foxface in there.

Aquattro
11-19-2014, 02:30 AM
I feed, each feeding, enough to saturate the water column. No way the fish can get it all, so that leaves scraps for the shrimps and crabs and other critters.

jason604
11-21-2014, 07:33 PM
I use to overfeed but that lead to a algae outbreak that I didn't fix right away n turn my tank into crap n smothered many zoas n sps to death. Tried to add some Gfo to soak up the extra baddies in the water but added too much and destroye my tank. It's now in the process of recovering. Tricky hobby

Coralgurl
11-21-2014, 08:37 PM
I feed some sort of algae in the morning and then feed my fish a mix of frozen foods in the evening until they stop eating (and they actually do) and their bellies are fat!!! That can be 5 mins or 10. My system does not like pellets so I stay away and only use as a last resort (out of frozen) but won't add on an auto feeder.

Based on this thread, I think I'm underfeeding and should be adding more. Just not really able to do so.

Masonjames
11-21-2014, 09:30 PM
What does everyone think of heavy feeding for our fish? I have slowly increased the amount of feeding in my tank and noticed my fish are happier and of course fatter. Are there any possible issues with heavy feeding if proper filtration is in place? How much feedings would you guys consider heavy?

Whats proper filtration? What's heavy feeding? What type of environment are you trying to maintain?
We can feed a 100% of whatever we have the means to remove. If we could remove 100% of what goes in we could feed pails of food as many time as day as we'd want to. If efficiency is not 100% then what's added needs to reflect that. If feedings are heavy in the sense they are greater then the rate of removal, then yes there can be very real possible issues with doing so depending on the type of envioroment you wish to maintain. If you don't want but have nuisance algae and/or you need to clean your glass daily or every second day, chances are additions are far more then you and your system can effectively remove/process in a timely fashion. But if fish are starving and we can't add what they need because the system cannot handle it then we really need to re examine our current husbandry practices.

Feed as much and as often as you wish based upon what you and your system can remove and process effectively in a timely fashion. You may find your once thought of idea of heavy feeding is easily maintained by you and your system, or you may find keeping happy fish could turn out to be unhappy you with and algae farm.

Dearth
11-21-2014, 10:09 PM
I feed, each feeding, enough to saturate the water column. No way the fish can get it all, so that leaves scraps for the shrimps and crabs and other critters.

yup that be my way too

CM125
11-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Wow Im really under feeding, also don't you people work? lol

neoh
11-21-2014, 11:33 PM
I feed one large pinch of dried brine shrimp once a day, one large mats of purple veggie twice a week, and a lot of frozen brine, mysis, cyclo, reef roids, phyto and bloodworms once every 3 days or so, that are rinsed thoroughly and plentiful, and silverside by hand to the lobster, all with the pumps off. I maintain low nitrate and undetectable phosphates, and over-skim. I'd say I grossly underfeed. ;) But the fish are fat, happy, and visibly healthy.

Though now after reading everyone's comments, I'm considering feeding more, daily.

Masonjames
11-22-2014, 12:39 AM
If your or my fish are fat, healthy and happy why do we need further additions beyond that point?

shrimp
11-22-2014, 03:56 AM
My apex feeder feeds my fish twice a day. 10:00am and 4:00pm.
I have four fish in my tank and each feeding 5 pellets drop out.
So every feeding one fish gets lucky and scores an extra pellet.:biggrin:
They all look happy and healthy.