PDA

View Full Version : I am Totally Amazed .....

Beverly
09-05-2004, 03:08 AM
We got two new fish the other day. One is in our 67g and the other is in our 120g. I have been watching the new fish become integrated into the fish societies that have been established in both tanks. At first, the new fish were hard to find as they hid in the rockwork in each tank. As time passed, both fish became bolder and are now both swimming freely in each tank with the fish that were there initially. I am pleased that all the fish are accepting of each other :)

Anyway, while watching the integration of the new fish, I have spent periods of time observing their behaviour. The best time to watch them is at feeding times when they are most active. And the funniest thing I've noticed, which so amazes me, is that fish have these great, expressive lips. Yes, lips that look like they are going to kiss someone (or something) that they use to slurp up their food.

I'd never really taken the time to observe fish lips before, but they are soooooooooo coooooooool with their lips :cool: If you have never watched your fishes' lips, please take a few moments to do so...... Okay. It's a little like navel gazing, but WOW, man, it's a way cool way to spend part of the day :cool:

kuatto
09-05-2004, 03:53 AM
"I'd never really taken the time to observe fish lips before, but they are soooooooooo coooooooool with their lips"

I'm going call that husband of yours and make sure he takes you out in public more,at least once a day :razz: :mrgreen:

Beverly
09-05-2004, 01:10 PM
I just LOVE those fish lips, Jim :mrgreen: :lol: :razz: I've still got two other tanks I haven't observed the lips of the fish yet..... Gonna do that this morning :cool:

Doug
09-05-2004, 02:08 PM
My kole tank, really has a set of smackers. :lol:

Quinn
09-05-2004, 06:15 PM
I agree, fish have very interesting mouths. What kind of fish did you get Bev? I've noticed clowns sometime do what I'd say is yawning, which is quite entertaining.

Beverly
09-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Quinn,

My clowns, both occellaris and skunk, don't do the lip thing like the fish in my 120, which are a blue sided wrasse, a dwarf angel, and a lonely blue-green chromis. The chromis is the most surprising with its lips as I would have thought it wouldn't do the kissing thing like the larger fish in that tank.

Zerandise
09-05-2004, 09:38 PM
lol i thought i was the only one that did this... Thi i do it on my FW tank as i dont have fish in my reef yet (8 1/2 months now). some of the FW ones are great! I do however watch the *lips* of my snails when they clean the glass.