PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Max 130D - Cheapest Place to buy in Calgary?

swenthusiast
11-13-2014, 05:54 AM
I'm new to this forum and to the salt water hobby..

I've been looking at possible all in one systems in the 28 gal - 34 gal range. Appears to be two main brands - JBJ and Red Sea. After looking at both, I decided I like the look on the Red Sea Max series a lot more than JBJ.

What are your experiences with Red Sea Max 130D? I read rumours that Red Sea is releasing an LED version next year. Should I buy now or wait?

What's the cheapest place in Calgary to buy one?

Any advice would be much appreciated :biggrin:

kien
11-13-2014, 06:16 AM
I don't have any experience with those Red Sea all-in-one tanks, but Welcome to Canreef (and the hobby) ! :biggrin:

IanWR
11-13-2014, 12:12 PM
If you are looking for an aio style tank in that size, you could also look at biocube or innovative marine tanks. I think there will be black Friday deals you could take advantage of, or there are often used biocubes for sale.

ronau
11-13-2014, 12:28 PM
There are new models of RSM coming out in 2015 but I don't think they'll include LEDs, I had a sneak peek this week. When I was at Pisces a few weeks ago the Micro 30 and 38 gallon set were on sale.

kamloops_reefer
11-13-2014, 03:10 PM
cheapest option will be getting it from a fellow reefer, do a quick search to see if there are any for sale local on the board, then check out Kijiji if your comfortable buying used.

I've seen some steals of deals for $200 for a RSM 130D vs the retail price.....:biggrin:

swenthusiast
11-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys!

What are your opinions on JBJ vs Nuvo vs RSM? Which one is best for lighting, quality and more importantly, the quitest?

After researching RSM I see that they released the C series this year.. Is the C-130 a huge improvement over the 130-D?

Given the fact that the C-130 just came out I guess my chances of finding used are minimal at best.. So I'll probably look at buying new if I decide to go with the RSM C series.. $$$ :cry:

Unfortunately I will be working on Boxing Day this year so I won't have the luxury (or misfortune in this cold!) to line up outside a LFS to get a tank. Has anyone ever bought a tank of this size online or would a physical pickup at a LFS be the best deal?

reefwars
11-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys!

What are your opinions on JBJ vs Nuvo vs RSM? Which one is best for lighting, quality and more importantly, the quitest?

After researching RSM I see that they released the C series this year.. Is the C-130 a huge improvement over the 130-D?

Given the fact that the C-130 just came out I guess my chances of finding used are minimal at best.. So I'll probably look at buying new if I decide to go with the RSM C series.. $$$ :cry:

Unfortunately I will be working on Boxing Day this year so I won't have the luxury (or misfortune in this cold!) to line up outside a LFS to get a tank. Has anyone ever bought a tank of this size online or would a physical pickup at a LFS be the best deal?

If you swing by concept aquariums and talk to me (Denny) I can design you a red sea style tank with much better equipment , more automation and better function for a fraction of the new redsea tanks price tag .

You can design each aspect And you won't need to upgrade the equipment or have to add equipment .

Shoot me an email if you wish at denny@conceptaquariums.ca or swing by the shop (were in ne Calgary)

Cheers

Denny

Concept aquariums

CM125
11-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Just as posted above, you may want to go custom, even if its not cheaper, its usually worth it. If your still wanting a pre made I would go to Pisces, usually good deals and can get anything if its not there

tlhood
11-14-2014, 06:23 PM
I bought my Red Sea max 130D used from a guy in town. It was about 6 months old, and in good shape.
I liked it because it was my first tank and I didn't want to dive into having a sump and all that, when I was first learning.
I've replaced the lights with a DIY fixture, and the skimmer with a tunze 9001.

total ive spent on my setup (tank, lights, skimmer) is ~900$

ronau
11-17-2014, 11:54 AM
http://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/reefer/?utm_source=Newsletter+club+North+America&utm_campaign=6fcc756137-Red+Sea+REEFER%E2%84%A2+B2C+news+ENG+USA&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2dbd490786-6fcc756137-127912377

New Red Sea Reefer system. I like that they don't include lights, skimmer and return pump. Probably not going to be the cheapest option but it's nice enough to put in any room for all to see. I was going to have a custom stand built for my current system but it was quoted at $1200 for a 54" stand. Once I get more details, I am going to decide between a Red Sea Reefer and a CAD Lights Artisan II.