PDA

View Full Version : RETURN PUMP CHOICE

Skimmin
11-12-2014, 02:11 AM
I'm just starting to put together the equipment for my new 300gal rr with 100gal sump. I'm just wondering... External or internal? Which way to go? What brand? What is the quietest most energy effecient return pump?

Werbo
11-12-2014, 03:39 AM
90% of people go internal. For under 1000gph and under $200 go with an Eheim 1262

Over $200 their is a used Red Dragon in the buy and sell right now for $300 which is the Royles Royce of return pumps :)

For 1500 gph I like the Vertex V6 for $419 at JL

mikellini
11-12-2014, 03:55 AM
I got my Sicce Syncra 3.0 for $80 on amazon. Can't beat that.

ronau
11-12-2014, 03:59 AM
Selected Vertex products are on sale this month at J&L, maybe the V6 will be added to the list.

globaldesigns
11-12-2014, 04:33 AM
I use a Mag18 for my 180g with 100g sump. Works flawlessly and is quite. Oh yeah I am internal.

duncangweller
11-12-2014, 04:57 AM
I have an Eheim 1262 as werbo recommended and its a great pump. I can barely hear it and my tank is a foot away from where I sit to watch tv

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ScubaSteve
11-12-2014, 05:24 AM
I've gone through a number of Mag pumps for a whole slew of applications as they are cheap and get the job done... but they are noisy SOBs! As they get older they start to rattle more and no matter how much you try to dampen them there is a constant hum from the tank.

I just put a new Sicce PSK1000 on my skimmer and I keep having to check to see if the thing is still on because it's so quiet. I think my pump allegiance is beginning to change...

From the Sicce on my skimmer I am impressed thus far with Sicce. On some equipment for work (which is in my office next to my bedroom) I have an Eheim 1262 - in general it is pretty quiet but it does have a fairly noticeable hum to it. Granted it's not inside of a tank stand but I can hear the hum from the pump in my bedroom.

whatcaneyedo
11-12-2014, 01:27 PM
I feel so old school. I use a Reeflo Dart for my return and I've got a Hammerhead still in its box ready for my next upgrade. I hate the look of powerheads so I get my flow from the return or closed loop and I prefer external because I have heat issues during the summer. The only issue I have with them is that eventually the drive shaft seals will go so I need to have some spares in a drawer ready for when that happens. It really depends on how much flow you're looking for I guess. If you want under 1000gph anything by Reeflo is likely too big.

Scythanith
11-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Abyzz for the win! Silent, smart, cool under pressure ;) I run mine internally.

daplatapus
11-12-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm running an external Reeflo Barracuda on mine. It's definitely got a bit of a hum but it's in my basement so it's forgivable on that that count. I do have a Jabeo DC6000 on my calcium reactor and like Scubesteve, I've got to get my ear right on it to see if it's still running. Where's your pump going to be in relation to the tank? Is noise an issue over pump capacity? What's the priorities of the pump your looking for?

Myka
11-12-2014, 02:18 PM
In reference to internal vs external, my choice depends on how much heat I want to add to the tank. Generally, internal pumps add more heat to the tank than external pumps - though this is not always the case. If your system will run cool (LED lights, in a basement, etc) then a pump adding heat to the system may be a GOOD option as it will help save on heating costs.

Are you doing a single return or dual returns? Your options will be different if you're needing one larger pump or two smaller ones. Assuming your 100 gallon sump will have about 50 gallons of water in it, you're looking for about 2100-2600 gph total return flow. If you're doing a Herbie overflow then I would suggest you use a single return pump as the Herbie will run better/easier. In that case, Sequence pumps have been a long time reliable go-to. Maybe you want a DC pump? What is your budget? What do you want out of the pump? (hot, cool, energy efficient, value, best of the best, etc)

TimT
11-12-2014, 03:23 PM
For a tank that large my recommendation would be to go external. There are several advantages to external;
1. No added heat
2. No ceramic shaft to wear or break
3. No cheap plastic bushings to get distorted
4. No shock potential
5. Minimal cleaning
6. Reliable
7. Does not get noisy with age

If the sump is in the basement and the tank upstairs then you would need a high pressure external like a reeflo etc. If the sump is under the tank there is a good 1/8hp spa type pump for around $240. It uses 1 1/2" in/out quick disconnects and is rated at 3000gph 0' head and max head is 23'. It is dead quiet and uses under 200 watts.

Cheers,
Tim

Skimmin
11-12-2014, 04:59 PM
OK that's some great options. I'm not too concerned about cost. Quiet and energy effecient are my biggest concerns.Quiet being #1. The sump is going to be in the stand and is about 112gal holding 75 gallons of water. Total system volume of approx 400gal. I'm planning on running one pump along the top edge of the tank to discharge at the opposite end of the overflow. Who supplies the Abyzz pumps in Canada? They look sweet. I'm quite interested in the DC pumps. I have a mag as a back up incase the primary pump craps out.

kien
11-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Lots of great suggestions. I myself have been using a mag18 for the past five years. It has been reliable and quiet.

As evidenced by all the great suggestions, there are a lot of great pumps out there. The only suggestion that I would add is to pick a pump that is easy and/or cost effective for *you* to maintain. If your pump craps out on a Sunday evening or while you're on vacation you would want a pump that's easy to repair or cost effective (or available) to just swap out for a new one. I have a spare mag18 on hand that a tank sitter can easily swap if they ever found my return pump failed. The moral of the story is, it's always nice to have a backup!

Scythanith
11-13-2014, 05:46 PM
OK that's some great options. I'm not too concerned about cost. Quiet and energy effecient are my biggest concerns.Quiet being #1. The sump is going to be in the stand and is about 112gal holding 75 gallons of water. Total system volume of approx 400gal. I'm planning on running one pump along the top edge of the tank to discharge at the opposite end of the overflow. Who supplies the Abyzz pumps in Canada? They look sweet. I'm quite interested in the DC pumps. I have a mag as a back up incase the primary pump craps out.

Marinetech Innovation

Skim
11-14-2014, 03:09 AM
I would go with a Jabeo DC-12000 that way you can adjust the flow if you wish. I use the 6000 set a 4 works great. If you think your Mag 18 is quite you got to hear or should say not hear the Jabeo DC pumps. My Vertex Omega pump is louder.

globaldesigns
11-14-2014, 09:40 PM
I've gone through a number of Mag pumps for a whole slew of applications as they are cheap and get the job done... but they are noisy SOBs! As they get older they start to rattle more and no matter how much you try to dampen them there is a constant hum from the tank.

I just put a new Sicce PSK1000 on my skimmer and I keep having to check to see if the thing is still on because it's so quiet. I think my pump allegiance is beginning to change...

From the Sicce on my skimmer I am impressed thus far with Sicce. On some equipment for work (which is in my office next to my bedroom) I have an Eheim 1262 - in general it is pretty quiet but it does have a fairly noticeable hum to it. Granted it's not inside of a tank stand but I can hear the hum from the pump in my bedroom.

Hmmm that is weird... First Mag18 was quite, used for 2-3 years. Changed to eheim 1262, as I wanted to be proactive and put a new pump in before there were ever issues. This pump was no more quite than the Mag, however it didn't have the power as the Mag18, so I put the Mag back in... Runs flawlessly and has always been quite for me.

e46er
11-15-2014, 12:17 AM
i went through a couple mag 9.5s before i switchd to a reeflo snapper.
added in some tees and now feed carbon and phos reactors off it as well.my shaft seal just went on it which sucks but i got 4 years out of it and went thru a couple mag pumps in 18 months so its something to consider.
ill be hard pressed to switch back to internal pumps