PDA

View Full Version : Waveline DC 12000 or a DC style return pump

andestang
11-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Just wondering if anyone is running a Gen 2 Waveline DC return pump and maybe specifically the 12000 ? I've had a Gen-X running for more than 10 yrs and has been bullet proof. But now the impeller needs replacing and can't find parts (they're out of business). I've epoxied the blades and they are holding for now but it's time for a new pump. I was going to go the Dart route but would like to try a DC style pump.

ronau
11-09-2014, 09:17 PM
I have a Jebao DC12000 that's been running since February. I was told not to run it at 100% and I haven't but I still had a power supply failure.

andestang
11-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Ya I was thinking on going the little bit cheaper Jabao or Gen 1 Waveline but apparently they fixed some of the early issues.

ronau
11-09-2014, 11:45 PM
You can almost buy 2 Jebaos for the price of one Waveline. If you go Jebao, I would definitely have a back up return pump. When mine failed I was lucky to have one. I then bought a replacement power supply. I also have a couple Eheims on the shelf if I have multiple failures.

BuschWacker
11-10-2014, 12:15 AM
My waveline lasted about 2 weeks. The controller kept shutting down or going full blast. I went with a reef octopus rodc pump. Been going for a month without a hiccup. Very happy with it.

randallino
11-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Ive got the Waveline DC 6000 running at 60% since February this year with out any issues, nice pump not outrageously expensive and if you have an Apex there's talk of a controller coming from RLSS. Just cleaned the pump this weekend everything seems fine.

andestang
11-10-2014, 07:04 AM
I just noticed these in the last couple of days, I'll read a little more on them.

My waveline lasted about 2 weeks. The controller kept shutting down or going full blast. I went with a reef octopus rodc pump. Been going for a month without a hiccup. Very happy with it.

andestang
11-10-2014, 07:18 AM
I have Profilux so I imagine we are waiting on the same controller when it comes out ?

Ive got the Waveline DC 6000 running at 60% since February this year with out any issues, nice pump not outrageously expensive and if you have an Apex there's talk of a controller coming from RLSS. Just cleaned the pump this weekend everything seems fine.

andestang
11-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Couldn't edit my previous comment to you, but do you know if they will have it so it can be controlled by Profilux, Apex etc ?

FragIt Dan
11-10-2014, 06:52 PM
I just packed up my Waveline DC12000 and am returning it this week due to ongoing issues. I have a second, brand new one in a box that is also going back. I have been running the first since October of last year (these were the first two in Canada to my knowledge) at about 60% without issue but had a friend's power supply fail on theirs. I contacted RLSS and got replacement gen2 power supplies but the flow rate was substantially reduced on both gen2 power supplies. I also can no longer adjust the power output on my gen1 power supply. Furthermore, the output also does not seal, much like the original DC1000 issues where there are casting imperfections that cause leaks. This was remedied with pipe sealer, but caused me concern of continued oversight of quality control. Based on my feedback to RLSS they have indicated they are looking into a gen3 power supply, but I am done waiting. Apex controllability would be a dream, but I am afraid it might be just that... To add insult to injury, customer support is a nightmare to deal with.
As a replacement I was looking at Iwaki, Panworld and Sequence. I ended up with a Hammerhead Hybrid as I am running a basement sump. Good luck.

monza
11-10-2014, 07:10 PM
I also had two early version Waveline 1200's that both controllers failed, they have replaced both with much more robust looking controllers but I have yet to use them. Jebaos I consider total junk, I went through two very quickly,my LFS replaced both one of those one was broken out of the box the other failed soon. I don't want replacements for them I'll be tossing them out. All the above pumps where replaced with Reef Diablos, which have been running non stop for 7-8 months, down side of them is I hear they are not making them anymore?
I have at least one traditional pump, Red Dragon running crucial flow to my tank(closed loop), I have a Diablo running sump return. I don't trust DC pumps. I'll still be experimenting with them however.

ronau
11-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Apex controllability would be a dream, but I am afraid it might be just that...

DC pumps are already being controlled by Apexs

monza
11-10-2014, 07:15 PM
DC pumps are already being controlled by Apexs

Not Wavelines yet, which I'm sure FragitDan was implying.

ronau
11-10-2014, 08:10 PM

Are Jebaos not clones of Wavelines with the same signal going through the controllers?

andestang
11-10-2014, 09:05 PM
From some of my limited reading is it sounds like Waveline sold the design/patent for the Gen 1 to Jabao when they were ready to come out with Waveline Gen 2. I have not come across that a Gen 3 was in the works though.

ronau
11-10-2014, 09:28 PM

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109479&highlight=Apex

Torx says they are.

FragIt Dan
11-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up Ronau. That's an interesting development, although that looks like it might be 'aftermarket' :). Not that it is rocket science or anything.

monza
11-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Yes but not Apex 'supported'… not that it matters I guess.

randallino
11-11-2014, 05:19 AM
This is the response I received last week from RLSS (yes I know they have been promising this for over a year now)

"Thanks for your interests in our products.

We hope to give Neptune the 3rd prototype for the "Apex-ready" controller next month so that they can verify the one a.s.a.p..

The controller was behind our schedule we will need to support 0-10V analog controller and RS232 as well. And the main broad is upgrading too.

Should you have any question, please let us know, thanks.

Best regards"

Eddie Ye

The Guy
11-11-2014, 08:30 AM
I bought a Speedwave DC pump when they were the only way to go, I don't think anyone sells them locally anymore. Fingers crossed it's working perfectly so far, had it for about a year and a half. Anyone else running one?

mark
11-11-2014, 12:46 PM
I keep reading posts like this one as considering replacing my Dart more really to try something new. Seeing that the cheaper DC pumps still taking a chance, guess will stay with the proven Dart (running 8+ years) a little longer.

daplatapus
11-11-2014, 02:10 PM
I bought 3 DC12000's at the same time as FragitDan and we've had quite a bit of communication between us through out the ordeal. The failing controller of a friends unit, coupled with a series of unfortunate events, led to over $20K worth of damage in their home. RLSS has sent a Gen2 controller for all the pumps we bought. The event described above, turned out to be the straw that broke the camels back for them, and they've shut their tank down. I've taken one of my Gen1 controllers (which was still sitting BNIB since my build is so slow) and hooked it up to my friends DC12000 and it's powering my Lifereef Vs3-48 skimmer. The controller fan unit sucks and is noisy. The new Gen2 is probably close to 3X the size and is just a large heat sink. No active fan.

My original plan was to have 2 - DC12000's as my return pumps pushing 12' of head from my basement fish room to my 210 gal living room display, but I'm beginning to worry about having adequate flow. One of these days I will take it outside and test what they push at that head height.
I'm not quite ready to bail on them quite yet, but FragitDan is right when says customer service is horrendous.