PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity

Doug
11-03-2014, 08:05 PM
:lol:

So everyone says, add some real live rock to your tank of dead rock. I figured good idea. Now I have aiptasia everywhere. Is that not why I went with all dead rock??? That never worked anyways.

Putting in a sandbed so I could have wrasses. I vacuum clean it every water change, where I can reach it. You should see how dirty the water is I take out. Its unbelievable.

Just a minute, I will think of some more. :loco:

saltcreep
11-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Telling your wife how much you just paid for that *insert item here*...

Doug
12-30-2014, 08:42 PM
:tsk:

STUPID aiptasia.............STUPID live rock.

Thats all. I feel better now. :smile:

Aquattro
12-30-2014, 08:56 PM
That's really odd Doug. I just went through 4 boxes of rock, not an aiptaisia in sight.
Where did this "live rock" come from?

Doug
12-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Just 2 pieces I bought locally Brad. From a store here. They sure looked good when I purchased them.

Aquattro
12-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Problem I see with stores these days is many don't order rock anymore. They take it as trade ins, buy tanks full from shut downs, etc. Then sell it as new. But in the end, after a couple years of running a reef, you risk getting pests regardless of what rock you use. Unless you never add anything but the rock.

Aiptaisia IMO is inevitable. And as far as pests go, not really high up in the ratings. Unless you get one and let it reproduce for a few months :)

Reef Pilot
12-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Get a Pearlscale and you will never have to fret about aiptasia again...

CM125
12-30-2014, 10:16 PM

a pearlscale goldfish?

Reef Pilot
12-30-2014, 10:20 PM
a pearlscale goldfish?
Butterfly fish.

lastlight
12-30-2014, 10:26 PM
just added sand back into my tank after i rehomed my wrasses to go bare bottom. even knowing they are crap traps! count me in on the stupidity =)

brotherd
12-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Pearlscale butterfly. Aiptasia destroyer could be a better name. I have aiptasia in my fuge(temporarily,trust me). Zero of those little demons in the display.

Doug
12-31-2014, 12:44 AM

Yes I read your post about them. My tank would be to small unless I re homed it later. How long did you quarantine.

just added sand back into my tank after i rehomed my wrasses to go bare bottom. even knowing they are crap traps! count me in on the stupidity =)

Yup. :lol: Have to admit my two wrasses are my favorites though.

Pearlscale butterfly. Aiptasia destroyer could be a better name. I have aiptasia in my fuge(temporarily,trust me). Zero of those little demons in the display.

Where did you guys all get yours?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-31-2014, 12:49 AM
Green filefish. Mine is awesome at hunting down some aiptasia that also got into my tank from someone else's rock/corals when I bought their stuff.

Anthony

Doug
12-31-2014, 12:59 AM
Green filefish. Mine is awesome at hunting down some aiptasia that also got into my tank from someone else's rock/corals when I bought their stuff.

Anthony

Is that the same as a matted filefish Anthony. Is he gonna eat my sps..:surprise:

Aquattro
12-31-2014, 01:02 AM
Is that the same as a matted filefish Anthony. Is he gonna eat my sps..:surprise:

IME, you have a 1 in 5 chance that it will. Not bad odds :)

Reef Pilot
12-31-2014, 01:03 AM
Yes I read your post about them. My tank would be to small unless I re homed it later. How long did you quarantine.

Where did you guys all get yours?
If it is the 50g, that is plenty big enough for these. The Pearlscales don't get large in aquariums (not like tangs or foxface). Both of mine are about 3 1/2 inches and haven't grown much if any since I got them. They are fat and healthy, though, and eat all kinds of food, just like the other fish. They also like some vegetable matter, and eat algae pellets and nori, as well as pick at algae in the tank.

I QT them (or any fish) for about 2 months minimum. I have found that the Pearscales will usually come with parasites, and so do the Prazipro and hypo routines. The hypo gives them extra vigor. The QT also gives you the chance to train them on foods, frozen first, and then onto pellets and dry foods. And you can get them going on aiptasia in the QT by giving them an infested live rock, so that when they are transferred to the DT, they will go after them right away, and leave your corals alone.

I saw some at King Ed on boxing day, and I know J&L sometimes brings them in.

I have had mine (one in each of my tanks) for over 4 years now, and consider them invaluable. Plus they are a nice looking fish, totally peaceful, and interesting to watch as they go about hunting in your tank.