PDA

View Full Version : Banner fish in reef tank?

hockey nut
09-03-2004, 06:31 AM
Hi all. Has anyone kept or currently have a long fin banner fish in a reef tank. I have read that the smaller one is reef safe ( heniochus diphreutes ). How do they do with other fish and corals? Thanks for your help. :biggrin:

Invigor
09-03-2004, 12:24 PM
not sure about reef compatability, but all I can tell you is there needs to be 2 or more as they like to school!

but being a butterfly, I can see it snapping at small polyps and such.

Quinn
09-03-2004, 07:58 PM
As you said, a lot of knowledgeable writers state that H. diphreutus is a better bet than H. acuminatus or of course any of the other muddier-looking species. I don't think anyone would guarantee this though. As Invigor said, they are apparently happier in odd-numbered groups (three, five, etc.). Also, ensure you know the differences between the two species. I expect most vendors don't and will tell you whatever you want to hear.

albert_dao
09-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but H. diphreutus comes from Hawaiian waters whereas the other species (H. acuminatus et al) are found elsewhere.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to assume that Bannerfish coming in Hawaiian shipments are H. diphreutus.

DOO-E
09-05-2004, 05:20 AM
Bannerfish eat aptasia so i am not too sure they would go into a reef tank. But there is one species that is reef safwe wit caution. Kinda like a dwarf Angel.

Quinn
09-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Albert, unfortunately H. diphreutus also occurs in the South Pacific, Indian Ocean and Red Sea. H. acuminatus does have a wider range but occurs in some of the same areas as H. diphreutus, including Hawaii. :neutral:

Doo-E, as stated, H. diphreutus seems to have a better reputation, but of course there are no guarantees. I expect you mean dwarf angel (Centropyge spp.), not dwarf butterfly.

DOO-E
09-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Ya Teevee thats what i meant. Sorry I was trying to remember the name of the butterfly when i was typing that. Okay i found some information. The book is "A PocketExpert TM Guide Marine Fishes 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species, By Scott W. Micheal" says here H diphreutes comes from Indo-Pacific reaches 7.1 inches in length. This is what it says about being in a reef: "Not a threat to sessile invertertebrates, but do not confuse it with the similar looking H. acuminatus, which can be destructive in a reef tank. The H diphreutes has more-round breast, less proturding snout, and the middle black band ends at the corner of the anal fin."