PDA

View Full Version : Sand question?

C&C
09-29-2002, 12:35 PM
My friend is looking at setting up a reef tank, after seeing all the fun that me and my wife have been having ( He does have some previous experience, the bug has bitten again). We have read on other groups about using a kids play sand from home depot for the DSB. Since We live in Newbrunswick we don't have Home depot :( I have found play sand from the Shaw group, says that it is salt free but not what it is made out of? Any ideas? Or anybody know where I can get some of this much cheaper sand or who makes it?

C&C

Skimmerking
09-29-2002, 12:48 PM
CHIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL tongue.gif Ya any sand that is silicate based you can use. along tha its tne proper grain size. Lots of people on Reef Central are using WHITE sand blasting sand .THere is a option for you. hope this helps

StirCrazy
09-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Most "play sand" will not be good to use as they are not silica based, (silica is a helth hazord and it is not alowed to be used in any child play stuff) this is why "Southdown" is using argonite for a play sand.

Like Asmodeus mentions sandblasting sand comes in various sizes and can work nice PROVIDING you get a pure silica blasting sand. if you see fieldspar or any other metals on the list stay away from it.. the easyest way to see the contents is to ask the compayn to see the MSDS sheet on the sand you are looking at. it will name all the "Ingreadents" and such and any helth hazords associated wit the product.

Steve

Bob I
09-29-2002, 03:31 PM
Silica sand should be available in any hardware type store such as Home Depot, or Revy. I know Home Depot had it by the bag as I bought some there. Another clean option is to go to a spa supply store, and buy filter sand. It Silica Sand of uniform size. When I bought my last bag it was $15.00 a bag. If you spend that much you might as well buy Sugar sized Aragonite from SWC. It is $25.00/bag

AquariumPros.ca
09-29-2002, 06:17 PM
Hey C&C -

Where about in F'ton are you from? I lived there for more then 1/2 my life. (Montgomery Street - right next to the UNB campus).

Drop me a line - we might know eachother! :D

Cheers,

Skimmerking
09-29-2002, 06:38 PM
yeah Andrew he's orginally from B.C he told me. hoes in the forces and is posted to the EAST...

sorry to cut your grass C&C was bored surfing you know...not that i would cut off a ENGINEER ..........CHIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey you know EUGENE (BB) Mike BLagdon,DOC he got out.WAS A CBT Diver .
I know alot of Engineer's from Bosnia Wayne SMART. another ..

AquariumPros.ca
09-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by asmodeus:
yeah Andrew he's orginally from B.C he told me. hoes in the forces and is posted to the EAST...

sorry to cut your grass C&C was bored surfing you know...not that i would cut off a ENGINEER ..........CHIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey you know EUGENE (BB) Mike BLagdon,DOC he got out.WAS A CBT Diver .
I know alot of Engineer's from Bosnia Wayne SMART. another ..<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Mike...

I saw in C&C's that he was Military, but thought that I would inquire anyway due to "Freddy Beach" being such a HUGE place ;)

Cheers all...

C&C
09-29-2002, 08:23 PM
Well its a small world isn't it. I know BB quite well, we did our QL3 training together at chilliwack. (We were on different courses but at the same time). And I know Wayne Smart quite well, he is an Edmonton city police now, doing very well for himself I hear.

Thanks for all the help with my questions, the more I ask the more I need to ask smile.gif

C&C

And yes "CHIMO" (isn't that a brand of progies??) smile.gif

reefburnaby
09-30-2002, 04:39 AM
Hi,

The playsand that you really want is Southdown sand and it is readily available in the eastern US Home Depots. If you pop by www.aquariumpros.ca (http://www.aquariumpros.ca) bulletin board, there are several reefers that may have the Southdown sand that you are looking for. Fredericton is pretty close to the US border, so you can drive across the border and find a Home Depot nearby. The sand is pretty cheap, so it is worth the tank of gas it takes to go across the border.

- Victor.

billc
10-01-2002, 04:49 AM
I don't know about up north but I purchased 100lbs of sugar sized silica blasting sand at Menards for $12 US... Nice stuff..