PDA

View Full Version : input on kalkwasser

KevinK
10-30-2014, 04:13 PM
I’m bailing at this time, and sometimes have a hard time balancing things out, I run it on a BM dozer, so it should be easy to balance, but for some reason, it douse not work for me that well.

for this reason I’m debating to go with kalkwasser, as that is already balanced, and douse not break the bank, to get started with it, as I have dozers, PH control and such.

in general, there is much I have read, and all makes sense.... when used as top off, you add it slowly, and it is already balanced.

now the thing I don't understand is:

when bailing, you match the calcium you put in the tank, to the need of the tank, yet using kalkwasser it is somewhat general 2 teaspoons per gallon of top off water.

this means that when topping off, 2 gallon, I ad 4 teaspoons of lime, yet when topping off 3 gallon I ad 6,

in tis scenario my tank itself (the calcium it consumes) is the same, so in fact 6 minus-4 is 2 teaspoon's of lime is excess, so what happens with that, douse this bring everything out of whack, or will it gust flake out.

reason for the part that I don't understand is because seemingly the addition of calcium is not tied to the consumption, but to the evaporation.

the fact that adding limewater to fast, could rays PH out of whack is clear, so gust slow on with the dosing, it is the amount of actual product dosing in total, that I don't get.

because if it would just keep adding the more it will rais ( should it not be dosed by need, not by evaporation ), not ?

or has it to do with the amount of C02 in the tank that controls what happens with the excess lime : as long as I go slow and there is enough, it would always even out and not bring everything out of whack, yet once there is not enough C02, that is when it brings everything out of whack

on the end I just want to understand this, because I have fluctuating water needs for top off, when we put the wood burning fire place on, I need about 3/4 gallon more than when only regular house heating, and thus when the fireplace is on, i would add more lime, while the tank and its consumption has nothing to do with the fireplace

KevinK
11-01-2014, 02:08 PM
no one ?

Aquattro
11-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Kevin, to be honest, I'm not sure many people use kalk anymore. As we discussed via PM, I did, years ago, and while it was ok, it was more troublesome than most of the current methods of supplementation.
I think you're going to have trouble getting much input on it.

monza
11-01-2014, 03:16 PM
I don't know anything about just using Kalk as a a calcium and Alk suppliment in your top of water alone, can't see that working.

Why can't you get your dosing to balance? I'm assuming by balance you mean a steady level of calcium and Alk at your desired level. It's pretty easy you simply add more or less while testing calcium and Alk, mostly alk.

Aquattro
11-01-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't know anything about just using Kalk as a a calcium and Alk suppliment in your top of water alone, can't see that working.

Oh, no, it works just fine. I used that method for years. However, reactors and dosers make the process so much simpler.

monza
11-01-2014, 03:21 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm

Masonjames
11-01-2014, 06:03 PM
If your adding via ato your required additions are 100% dependant on evaporation rates.

2 tsp per gallon is the point of saturation. If additions are made via ato you must determine your systems requirments versus your rate of evaporation.

My sytem requires 1/2 tsp per gallon during warmer months, and I must increase the amount needed as evaporation declines during the colder months.

Dosing through ato however may not be a perfect fit for your needs based upon the fluctuations you see with evaporation rates. If you are not constantly making adjustment to compensate then your levels will rise and fall sorta defeating the purpose.

If your wanting to set it up on scheduled additions your probably better off with two part.
Additons of saturated kalk can be used via this method but obviously additions must be kept on par with ph levels. PH will be the determining factor on wether you can even dose, the strength of the dose and how often you will need to dose to meet your tanks needs and wether or not you are able to meet that need while keeping ph in check, and or if your tanks rewuirments are greater then the limitation of Kalks saturation point. Depending on the needs of your system and the amount of additions you can also start to compete with your top off.

^ I think anyways lol. my stored information quickly degrades. Lol. I suggest you research further until it all makes sense to you before you decide to do anything.

whatcaneyedo
11-02-2014, 02:53 PM
I've been using it for 6 years or so in a DIY reactor with my ATO primarily as a pH booster as I also use a Ca Reactor. On its own it wouldn't meet my Calcium Carbonate needs but it does have its benefits and its inexpensive and easy to use this way. There is nothing I can say about it that isn't covered thouroughly in this article:

What your grandmother never told you about Lime by Randy Holmes Farley: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture036.jpg

straightrazorguy
11-02-2014, 03:14 PM
I use kalk, but it's only part of my arsenal. I use it in addition to two-part. I don't use it as part of my top-off because the evaporation rates vary too much. I add saturated (using a stirrer) kalkwasser via a timer, and two part via dosers. Always the same amounts for all additives. In summer I have a smart ATO adding RODI water separately, while keeping the saturated kalkwasser addition the same year round.

It works for me....