PDA

View Full Version : Eradicating green mushrooms

Treebeard
10-28-2014, 03:01 AM
I am looking for advice on getting rid of these things. They are crowding out my corals and zoanthids need to go. Taking the rock out of the tank is not an option.
Has anyone heard of or had success with a majano wand (http://majanowand.com/)?

GoFish
10-28-2014, 03:19 AM
If you want a cheaper method you can just inject them with Aptasia destroyer, aptasia X or Muriatic acid etc... Depending on tank size I'd do a handful every couple days and use small amounts into the mouth towards the base.
The wand would probably work too, but for 10 to 20 dollars the other method would be just as effective or better IMO

Treebeard
10-29-2014, 04:41 PM
I tried zapping bunch of them with vinegar last night and they did not look too happy this morning. Time will tell if they actually die.

monza
10-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Here's my experience with them, a mushroom was one of my first "corals" I bought for my reef and after 15+ years of them growing and spreading, trying every thing for years to get rid of them, I shut down that tank and bought all new rock. They are a plague.

Good luck, IMO nothing gets rid of them, they just seem to spread harder and faster the more you try and kill them. I still have all the rock, just waiting until I have the desire to give it all a acid bath.

I still have a purple tang from that tank, he's been around for 15+- years.

vanreefer
10-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Inject them with something acidic at their base at night... I usually use lemon juice.... Then use a turkey baster to suck them off the rock in the morning. You may need to modify the size of the opening depending on the size of the shroom. It is nearly impossible to get all of the shrooms out of any tank tho

xenon
10-31-2014, 06:14 PM
Good luck!

Ever see guys on youtube putting mushrooms in a blender?

It just makes them multiply like crazy. :lol:

Reef Pilot
10-31-2014, 10:34 PM
Both my frogspawn and my bubble coral make quick work of any mushrooms on a rock, or anywhere near them. Gets rid of the nuisance palys as well. Unfortunately, can't have my entire reef covered with frogspawn and bubble coral...

AquaPin
11-01-2014, 08:40 AM
I have had good success injecting vinegar into the stem of the mushroom. Killed off lots of floaters that landed in areas not mushroom designated.

Aquattro
11-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Good luck!

Ever see guys on youtube putting mushrooms in a blender?

It just makes them multiply like crazy. :lol:

Ya, I would suggest anything short of physically removing them, anything else will just annoy them into reproducing :)

The Guy
11-01-2014, 03:08 PM
I have had good success injecting vinegar into the stem of the mushroom. Killed off lots of floaters that landed in areas not mushroom designated.
What do you use to inject the vinegar into the mushroom? I tried cutting them off the rock once and it made a h--l of a mess in my tank and helped to spread them more. :twised:

GoFish
11-01-2014, 07:27 PM
A bit tricky to obtain unless you're diabetic but I used a small 1ml syringe with a hypodermic needle, somewhere around a 25 gauge tip. You need a prescription however. My local clinic said they don't have any so try a pharmacy, the pharmacy clerk was verrrry reluctant to give me one, this was back when I needed one to inject earthworks with air so they'd float for trout fishing. She originally said no, but as I walked away she whispered me back and just gave me one with a wink ;)
For vinegar and muriatic acid the small tips work really well but if you're using aptasia x you may need a larger tip as there's some sediment that will clog the tip before you have a change to get any liquid out

So either be kind and explain to your local pharmacist what you need one for (cross your fingers), or try eBay

ReEf BoSs
11-01-2014, 08:38 PM
A bit tricky to obtain unless you're diabetic but I used a small 1ml syringe with a hypodermic needle, somewhere around a 25 gauge tip. You need a prescription however. My local clinic said they don't have any so try a pharmacy, the pharmacy clerk was verrrry reluctant to give me one, this was back when I needed one to inject earthworks with air so they'd float for trout fishing. She originally said no, but as I walked away she whispered me back and just gave me one with a wink ;)
For vinegar and muriatic acid the small tips work really well but if you're using aptasia x you may need a larger tip as there's some sediment that will clog the tip before you have a change to get any liquid out

So either be kind and explain to your local pharmacist what you need one for (cross your fingers), or try eBay

They should just sell them, its not illegal. Theres a medical supply store by bcit that sells needles with no explanation needed. Also one in maple ridge.

monza
11-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Don't they just give out free needles downtown Vancouver? Or do you need heroin to get them.

WarDog
11-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Don't they just give out free needles downtown Vancouver? Or do you need heroin to get them.

Lol.

The safe injection sites in Vancouver do not allow you to take the needles with you. You get a sealed syringe, a fresh needle, go into a private booth and chase the dragon. It`s all closely monitored with a nurse on site.

Don't ask how I know this, lol.

WarDog
11-01-2014, 09:54 PM
You're family doctor should be able to give you a fresh needle if you explain the situation to him.

Aquattro
11-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Any medical supply company or drug store should sell you the gear. I bought a box of syringes and a box of needles, enough to last forever, unless I take up some new habits!