PDA

View Full Version : power buys (like reefs.org)

spikehs
09-15-2002, 09:59 PM
I was looking on reefs.org and noticed they had a new feature called a powerbuy ( http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=53 ). It seems like a great idea and a good way to save some money. It would be great if we could get something like that going here from some canadian vendors. just a thought

Sean

<small>[ 15 September 2002, 17:59: Message edited by: spikehs ]</small>

titus
09-16-2002, 05:59 PM
Hello,

That's a good idea. Please anyone put in a list of items you want to buy and depending on the interest and type of items in demand, I'll get in touch with the retailers or manufacturers to get the best bid for you guys.

Titus

spikehs
09-16-2002, 07:13 PM
well, i'll start the list.

1. aquacultured frags (if doing livestock this way is feasable)

2. 2-part calcium and alk additives.

3. protein skimmer

thats all for now.. smile.gif

BCReefer
09-16-2002, 07:21 PM
Kent Salt.

bongy
09-16-2002, 07:57 PM
I want to buy the following items.

1. Temperature compensated Refractometer

2. Brine Shrimp Direct - need golden pearl and instant algae paste!!!

Bongy

StirCrazy
09-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by bongy:
Brine Shrimp Direct - need golden pearl Bongy<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">if anyone can get me the actualy manufacture of Golden Pearls and not the distrubitor (BSD is the distrubitor) I can get us a very good price from a small company in the US that I use for my fresh water supplies.

Steve

sumpfinfishe
09-16-2002, 09:02 PM
How about dt's or a digital PH or Salinity monitor &lt;img border="0" title="" alt="[Big Grin]" src="biggrin.gif" /> &lt;img border="0" title="" alt="[Wink]" src="wink.gif" />

bongy
09-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Hi Steve,

Maybe Instant Rotifers™ will be another good choice besides golden pearl. It is manufactured by Reed Mariculture (http://www.instant-algae.com/)

Then, we can ordered their "Tahitian Blend" and the "Rotifer".655

Thanks.

Bongy

smokinreefer
09-16-2002, 10:33 PM
i second the pH monitor

spikehs
09-16-2002, 11:41 PM
How about MH bulbs? Even if you dont need one now - we'll need em sometime?

titus
09-29-2002, 03:36 PM
Hello,

Just contacted a few Canadian online retailers today. Will let you guys know if any are interested.

Titus

AquariumPros.ca
09-29-2002, 06:14 PM
AquariumPros.ca would be willing to work out something like this.

We do stock most of the requested items, and have everything else available to us. Increased volume would allow for volume purchases on our part from the suppliers - and thus lower the prices even more. Bulk shipping would also lower the prices.

Some of the items mentioned/requested:
</font><ul type="square"> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Aquacultured frags - we will be offering Walt Smith frags very soon</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">B-Ionic - 2-part Calcium/Alk - In-Stock</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A variety of reactors and skimmers - In-Stock</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Automatic Temperature Compensated Refractometers</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Digital Hanna pH & Salinity monitors</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">MH bulbs - from Radiums to HelloLights Xaniums </font>[/list:u:b8c536d8c0]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If anyone is interested...please just let me know and I will work out something for you.
Best regards always,

Jayson
09-29-2002, 07:53 PM
Titus has contacted us in regards to the power buys. We are willing to work with you on selected items. We have in stock MH bulbs 175 watt-400 watt.Ushio,Hamilton,Radiums and Iwasaki. ATC Automatic temperature compensated refractometers in stock R.O units in stock R.O.DI units in stock,Co2 accesories instock. Aquacultered frags in stock. Skimmers and reactors in stock. Sugarfine sand in stock. Ph meters in stock. Ph controllers in stock.Tds meters in stock. If you have any other items that you may be interested in doing powerbuys for please feel free to let either Titus or myself know. Thanks

Delphinus
09-29-2002, 08:23 PM
How is this going to work? As much as I like the idea, my fear is that we don't really have the same readership that RDO has, so the odds of all of us needing the exact same things at the exact same time are diminished. So, will the group purchase go to a single point of contact and then be redistributed amongst the country, or will the retailers have to ship out to the different parts? If the latter, that is really nice of those retailers (thanks guys). There isn't a whole lot of margin in this industry to be able to trim things down much as it is, so again, thanks guys.

spikehs
09-30-2002, 12:51 AM
the way reefs.org does it is you purchase it like a normal item, once the minimum buy is met the orders are sent out to each person individually....just like a regular order, but in discount.

titus
09-30-2002, 06:18 AM
Hello,

Members:
If you have other wants, you may continue to list them here on this thread.

Retailers and Members:
Okay now wait a minute retailers. Let's take things one step at a time. We first need to figure out which items are the ones most needed and then pick a retailer to sponsor that Power Buy event. Having everyone jump in competing like this won't work. Besides, this forum is for members to post discussions and the products they are interested in, not a public bidding or advertisement vehicle for retailers to offer stuff for sale. Case in point, I don't even do it myself here. For future offers, please do so in the Vendor Announcemnt forums for non advertisement oriented posts.

As for the process of Power Buys and how it works, let me give an example. I approached reefs.org earlier this month inquiring about their Power Buy. I was actually trying to figure out how it works because of the level of interest on this board also. What happens is that they host a Power Buy for 1 - 2 retailers each month. For example, for the month of Oct 02, we've arranged to have Canreef to offer the Model 2 Ca Reactor as a Power Buy and they have another retailer to do a Power Buy on the CO2 part. So this way the Power Buy is offered in a controlled manner and the sponsoring retailers (yes I have to pay $100 for a month of ad, they say normally it's $300) can "work together" to deliver goods to customers.

So please hold off from posting your offers here until you have replied to the e-mail I sent to you today. For SWC, I got your reply and will reply to you once I've gotten a response from the other retailers. And AquariumPros.ca, wait out also and I'll contact you. In any event, I'll keep all of you (retailers and members) in the loop on this.

Thanks,
Titus.

stephane
09-30-2002, 11:35 PM
Thaitian blend,instant rotifer Golden pearl
Those can't be buy here in Canada and I realy love to have some.100 time less expensive than the DT's and as good IMO Why no one cary it??

If someone have It I will maybe have other people in Montreal looking fo it to

zulu_principle
09-30-2002, 11:45 PM
Stephane

You may want to consider ordering the 1000ml size of the Thaitian blend from brineshrinpdirect.com.

If you classify as fish food, no GST, PST and just a minor brokerage charge to have it sent over.

Zulu

stephane
10-01-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by zulu_principle:
Stephane

You may want to consider ordering the 1000ml size of the Thaitian blend from brineshrinpdirect.com.

If you classify as fish food, no GST, PST and just a minor brokerage charge to have it sent over.

Zulu<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">From what I know
Brineshrimp dont send Thaitian blend in Canada because it is frozen and it can't stand the time of the shipping :( It is more longer for private to get someting cross the border than a LFS who have permit (I tink)

I have buy some 2 years ago but have made it ship to florida and my grand father bring it to me with is motorhome

[ 30 September 2002, 22:31: Message edited by: stephane ]

EmilyB
10-01-2002, 03:46 AM
I was thrilled with my order from brineshrimpdirect last summer. I had wanted the various sizes of Golden Pearls for juvie fish, and I also ordered the nannochloropsis paste, which also needs to remain frozen. I couldn't believe the packing on this stuff. I actually saved it for some insulation purposes.... :D They were on the phone to me asking if I received the shipment each day ( it was july in Canada..hehe July everywhere else too, I guess...)

I think if you did it in winter you would have no worries. :D

[ 30 September 2002, 23:48: Message edited by: EmilyB ]

Samw
10-06-2002, 10:13 PM
I want to power buy 15oz bottle of DT's Phytoplankton

sumpfinfishe
10-07-2002, 05:01 PM
I'm with Sam, second on the DT's 15oz :D
and also a salinity monitor too :!:

StirCrazy
10-07-2002, 10:14 PM
put me in for DT's ;)

Steve

robert
10-19-2002, 08:26 AM
I want DT as well.

Tigger
10-27-2002, 09:32 PM
I'm interested in DT as well.

rossb
10-31-2002, 11:04 PM
I was looking for a digital ph meter and was able to get a used one at a hypdrophonics shop in calgary (just at the top of edmonton trail) for about 75 cdn bucks. It is and electric 9v digital one with a probe..just what you'd expect. I'm thinking if there were more to be sold they might deal a bit. (mine works great)
IMO

titus
11-02-2002, 04:30 AM
Hello,

Okay. Now that it's November, I've contacted the retailers to offer a Power Buy. For the month of November, I've selected SWC to be the retailer to do this. So let's wait to see what Jayson has to offer us.

Titus

spikehs
11-02-2002, 04:57 PM
what is the powerbuy product we are going to do?

Josh23
11-16-2002, 08:18 PM
Hi
If there is going to be a power buy I might be interested in buying a Ro/Di unit if the price is right.
Josh

Dorkel Marine 1
12-10-2002, 04:00 AM
Would be interested in B-ionic or C-balance; and DT's

Tigger
01-02-2003, 09:12 PM
I am interested in B-ionic and Tahitian Blend as well.

clintyiu
01-09-2003, 05:51 AM
I would also like a refractometer (temperature compensated).

Where is this power buy at now?

cavediver
01-09-2003, 05:54 AM
I'm Looking for 400W 10K MH's

8) 8)

Pro Fish Keeper
03-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Ya, i third the ph indicator.

ganowicki
04-14-2003, 10:05 PM
How about MH bulbs? Even if you dont need one now - we'll need em sometime?

I need to buy 5 - 175 watt bulbs if that helps the cause

spikehs
04-16-2003, 04:33 AM
how about SCWD's everyone seems to want one! (me included) or WON titanium heaters woooo

ganowicki
04-16-2003, 04:56 AM
what are scwd's??

spikehs
04-16-2003, 05:17 AM
stands for switching current water device ( i think).... it basically has an inlet and 2 outlets, the currently flow switches between the 2 outlets every 8-20 seconds (so i have heard, depending on pump size) so you get a wave maker effect for very cheap (about $60) see this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139546&highlight=SCWD

spikehs
04-23-2003, 01:50 AM
anyone still looking for a ph & salinity monitors, reefs.org is having a powerbuy on them - $69.95us for the ph (~$100can) and 79.95 for the refractometer if you buy the ph monitor...seems like a pretty good deal to me..depending on the brokerage fee's.

Devin98
09-28-2003, 12:33 AM
I am the ownder of Canadianreef.com, and if anyone is interested in a power buy using us I would be more then happy to give a discount if the order was large enough. I would be able to bill everyone seperate, and ship seperate, but you would need to get someone to keep in contact with me so we could work something out, just a thought.

-Devin Montreuil