PDA

View Full Version : questions and assumptions??

BCReefer
10-19-2001, 01:40 PM
I have just almost finished reading Concen. Marine. So I have a few questions and assumption:

1. When I use a sump, I use LR to improve my filtration. This would replace the need of a mechanical filter.
2. Use a Skimmer
3. When using a sump I need a way to move the water from the tank to the sump, thus I need to have a hole put into the tank and use appropriate connect/disconnect plumbing hardware. I would assume you would need 2 holes 1 to the sump and 1 to return to the tank?
4. When using HO or VHO ensure that you have proper ventilation so that you do not overheat you tank.
5. Ok so what is the difference between a sump and a refeguim ? (Not sure of the spelling there)
6. There must be some power heads to create water circulation.
7. When adding new water you add it into the sump???
8. You add all your chemical in the sump?
9. Have a good base of sand or substrate.

These are, as I indicated earlier assumptions and questions that I have. I have been reading as much as I can and I want to ensure that something is staying in.

Thanks for the help and comments

SuperFudge
10-20-2001, 04:52 AM
Hey Patrick,

Sounds like a reef tank to me! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Although preferable,you do not NEED to drill your tank,you can use siphon overflows to take water to your sump.

Really,there is no difference in a sump and refugium except the addition of some macro algeas,and that in some cases the refugium can be placed above the tank in hopes of less life lost from pump impellers.
cough cough NOT cough cough... images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Sure, your top off(evap replacement) and chemical additions,water changes,carbon,skimmers and heaters can all get thrown in there images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

Too many powerheads can be avoided by purchasing a slightly oversized system pump,and some kind of return manifold to get rid of dead spots in areas.
Some are good tho,providing circulation if your main pump fails.

Good luck with it,Marc.

[ 19 October 2001: Message edited by: Fudge ]