PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Anemone stuck in PH

Pisces
09-01-2004, 11:44 PM
I just got home from work to find my bubbletip stuck in the powerhead guard! :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry: What do I do?!?!

I turned off the PH (Of course), but should I try to help him out....or leave him to get himself out? :question: :exclaim: :question: I don't want to damage him more!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Pisces

Aquattro
09-02-2004, 01:23 AM
I used plastic spoons to spread the plastic grid apart on mine when that happened. I then "helped" it slide thru the grid. Took me a few hours. Lesson learned; never have uncovered intakes when housing anemones. On the upside, it recovered perfectly within a few weeks.

Gools
09-02-2004, 02:02 AM
When that happened to me, he was pretty tangeled up so I took everything I could apart and layed it on the sand, he got himself out in a few days.

Pisces
09-02-2004, 04:58 AM
Well, thankfully he wasn't tangled that bad.....whew! :rolleyes:

Within an hour of turning the PH off he had gotten himself mostly out of it. It looked like there was a bit of damage, but hard to tell how much at this point. I'm sure he'll be fine. :mrgreen:

I was meeting a friend so I couldn't stay (I would have stayed home if he looked any worse than he did) and by the time I got home he was completely out of it! YAY! :biggrin: :mrgreen: :biggrin:

He's moved back to his usual depth in the tank...slightly expanded, but it looks like he found a nice crevace for his 'foot' :cool: . Hopefully I'll be able to get a better look at him tomorrow.

As a side note ~ his name is 'Noodles' (or Noonoos), because that's what my 2 year old niece called him.....the name stuck. :lol:

Thanks for the replies,
Lindy
'Pisces'

Shy_Koi
09-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Hope "noodles" is ok...
The plastic sleeve guards for pump intakes are deceiving, it's amazing what can still fit through the grid :eek:
I cut an aquaclear foam in half, then hollowed out the center with an exacto knife, to make a small opening that fits over the end of the intake guard.
Works great but you do have to rinse the foam out very well, every couple of days.
~Tamara

EmilyB
09-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Noodles.... :lol: Great name for an anemone !

bulletsworld
09-05-2004, 12:51 AM
:lol: :lol: "noodles" :lol: :lol: I love it! :mrgreen:

IslandReefer
09-06-2004, 11:34 AM
I use a dacron filter bag (300micron?...big)that fits perfectly over the grill......samething as the sponge,but the dacron isn't as good of filter,so you only need to clean it apx.weekly.

mpishi
09-06-2004, 09:14 PM
i've found that nylons work well too

but

check with the female owner of said nylons first

i knew that really, its just i was in a hurry

Pisces
09-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! Great ideas! :biggrin:

'Noodles' is doing great with damage only to a small area. You can't even see it unless you specifically look for it. Unfortunately my Naso Tang (named 'Halo') died the next day :cry: :cry: , which really sucks because he was one of my favourites. He was always doing great and ate like a pig....not sure if the two are related or not. :neutral:

I'm thinking of moving my tank to a different wall in my living room (my family and friends think I'm nuts) so when I do I'll try a suggestion or two so the anemone is safer.

Thanks again,
Lindy