PDA

View Full Version : What color to paint the bottom of my tank?

Trigger Man
10-24-2014, 08:12 PM
I run bare bottom tanks and with this new build the tank did not come with the foam glued to the bottom of it. So now I can see the plywood below the tank glass, so that needs to be addressed. I have debated between painting the plywood white (clean look), a purple pink hue (for hiding the coralline from standing out when the tank is mature), Black (can make some things pop), or a greyish brown (to hopefully hide rubble and crap).
What would you do?

sphelps
10-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Keep in mind when tank is filled with water you will only see the color from the top down, viewing through the front or sides will result in a mirrored reflection on the base. That said black would be my preference for top town viewing, works best for photography as well.

lastlight
10-24-2014, 10:12 PM
white reflects a good deal of light upwards to help with shadowy areas (much like a sandbed would).

Wheelman76
10-24-2014, 11:27 PM
When I had concept build my tank I had them put white vinyl on the bottom glass before they added the plywood. I think it looks great with the white and you don't have to look from the top down to see it , there is no reflection and I can see the white from across the room. It also reflects the light upwards and helps colour up the underside of corals. However once the coralline algae covers the bottom then it doesn't really matter what colour you go with.

spit.fire
10-24-2014, 11:51 PM
get some chrome paint... good relfection :mrgreen:

Trigger Man
10-25-2014, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the responses. I actually used that plasti dip black paint for the 2 sides and it worked great. The best thing being that if I ever sell the tank I can peel off the plasti dip easily.

monocus
10-25-2014, 05:07 AM
paint it sand colour

monza
10-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Place foam under it. Put Starboard in tank for bottom.

Slyguy00
10-25-2014, 04:43 PM
I vote rainbow:mrgreen:

Trigger Man
10-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Slyguy are you in cahoots with my daughter on that color mix. She would be the happiest girl if I let her go crazy on the plywood with her paints. So how I believe I may get annoyed with that color assortment though.

Reefer Rob
10-26-2014, 03:48 AM
Purple!! :mrgreen: