PDA

View Full Version : Moved to abbotsford, who's local?

brittanyk
10-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Hey canreef! I haven't been active lately because we've been moving etc... But we're done!

I just moved out to easy Abby, who else is out here?

Once the tank settles I'll need someone to talk fish with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timbits
10-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Slyguy00 is from Abby. He has an amazing tank! :mrgreen:

Ryanerickson
10-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Easy Abby?

Wheelman76
10-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Easy Abby?

Yeah that's where all the .... nevermind lol

spit.fire
10-16-2014, 01:02 AM
i am

reefwithareefer
10-16-2014, 01:48 AM
Welcome to Easy Abby, not much around this place, so a hobby is good to have.

Mike Hawk
10-16-2014, 01:50 AM
I'm In Abby

Restless10101
10-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Yeah... Mike Hawk, and Spitfire are more "West" Abby. And Slyguy is more of the old school "Downtown" Abby sort. Not many of us East Abby people on here.

Slyguy00
10-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Yeah that's where all the .... nevermind lol

+1 :lol: like stated above I'm in Abby as well

Slyguy00
10-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Slyguy00 is from Abby. He has an amazing tank! :mrgreen:

Thanks Tim I appreciate that:mrgreen:

Restless10101
10-16-2014, 03:04 PM
BTW... all of the above are great guys to deal with.

brittanyk
10-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Haha sorry guys "east" Abby was what I meant haha!

Great to know! Is there a LFS out here?

Wheelman76
10-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Haha sorry guys "east" Abby was what I meant haha!

Great to know! Is there a LFS out here?

Oceanic corals

Slyguy00
10-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Oceanic is in Aldergrove and there is a small little place called pet lovers that has some nice things sometimes.

Denis
10-17-2014, 03:43 AM
I'm just east of Whatcom rd. I do mostly Acroporas.

Cujo#31
10-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Not necessarily "local" but drive by ya every day. I'm out in "The Wack" and there aren't many of us out here. Welcome to the valley. I run into Van pretty much every day, so if u need something from town LMK. I "mule" stuff for reefers out here all the time.

brittanyk
10-19-2014, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the offer cujo! I'll definitely be taking you up on it :) I work at a farmers market in Burnaby on Saturdays so if anyone needs organic veg & pasture raised meats give me a shout lol ;)

Cujo#31
10-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Oceanic corals

I've about had it with Oceanic. Several times now I have gone out of my way to go, today probably being my last, only to find shop locked up. I was able to get in once, and they did have some nice stuff, but I'm finding it easier to spend my money elsewhere.

Ryanerickson
10-24-2014, 03:49 AM
Unfortunatly this has happened to me 3 times in a row also long way to drive:sad:

Slyguy00
10-24-2014, 04:07 AM
I've about had it with Oceanic. Several times now I have gone out of my way to go, today probably being my last, only to find shop locked up. I was able to get in once, and they did have some nice stuff, but I'm finding it easier to spend my money elsewhere.

I can also agree. This has happened to me way to. Many times.

Tn23
10-24-2014, 10:40 AM
I believe they had something posted on fb. Not sure if it's relating to the same times. They had a message to call the store first.

Slyguy00
10-24-2014, 01:19 PM
What store do you know Thomas where you have to call first? Lol seems pretty ridiculous to me lol

albert_dao
10-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Had a major install to do. The place is a one man show at any given point. I know that's not a satisfactory answer, but there is an obvious dilemma here with little by way of an easy solution.

Slyguy00
10-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Lol o Albert. The simple solution is to either hire someone who will be there when the store is 'open' or change the hours and be there for the hours your open. It is really a pita to drive all the way there to find the doors locked.

albert_dao
10-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Lol o Albert. The simple solution is to either hire someone who will be there when the store is 'open' or change the hours and be there for the hours your open. It is really a pita to drive all the way there to find the doors locked.

Paul already tried that. Didn't work. You can PM me if you want to discuss this further though.

spit.fire
10-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Paul already tried that. Didn't work. You can PM me if you want to discuss this further though.

Beat me to it

Cujo#31
10-25-2014, 09:26 PM

PM is ok for anyone who has EASY access and wide open schedules. For most of us I'm sure trips to LFS go more like this......."hey, days going well, I actally have some free time right now I'm swingin by the LFS to see what they hace cuz I've been looking for a......" (insert your most recent search item) or maybe one of those random " hey I'm in the neighborhood (within 20 kms lmao) I should swing by and see what they have cuz i have some time right now"
Not sure how many of us have the luxury of "scheduling" a visit to LFS. Although there may be enough people to support a business that operates this way. Hell I'm quite certain those who are independantly wealthy and not in need of a job, and have no wife, kids, mortgage.....where time means nothing can function that way....yes Im being vexatious.
You had some nice quality looking livestock and considering the sqare footage a good selection last time I was able to visit. I may speak for many of us who have very little free time, and value that free time more than breathing, and get ****ed when we hit the lottery and free time shows up, and we wind up ****ing that time away driving to a locked door. In the time it takes to send, and recieve a PM......something else has filled that free time, like a guaranteed open door.
End game here. I have either started or ended my salt water fetish cruises of LFS from Abby to Bby at your shop 4 times now, someone else is holding about $800.00 of my hard earned money.

albert_dao
10-25-2014, 10:20 PM
PM is ok for anyone who has EASY access and wide open schedules. For most of us I'm sure trips to LFS go more like this......."hey, days going well, I actally have some free time right now I'm swingin by the LFS to see what they hace cuz I've been looking for a......" (insert your most recent search item) or maybe one of those random " hey I'm in the neighborhood (within 20 kms lmao) I should swing by and see what they have cuz i have some time right now"
Not sure how many of us have the luxury of "scheduling" a visit to LFS. Although there may be enough people to support a business that operates this way. Hell I'm quite certain those who are independantly wealthy and not in need of a job, and have no wife, kids, mortgage.....where time means nothing can function that way....yes Im being vexatious.
You had some nice quality looking livestock and considering the sqare footage a good selection last time I was able to visit. I may speak for many of us who have very little free time, and value that free time more than breathing, and get ****ed when we hit the lottery and free time shows up, and we wind up ****ing that time away driving to a locked door. In the time it takes to send, and recieve a PM......something else has filled that free time, like a guaranteed open door.
End game here. I have either started or ended my salt water fetish cruises of LFS from Abby to Bby at your shop 4 times now, someone else is holding about $800.00 of my hard earned money.

I don't know how to respond to this. If this is the Gary I'm thinking of, I do believe we had previously tried to make some arrangements and I did my best to follow up on it. Again, I'm really sorry to have wasted your time, but we did have a dialogue and I'm a little perplexed as to how that communication broke down. Hell, I have your number on my cellphone still. But it is what it is.

acepumping
10-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Haha I'm enjoying this. Keep it up !!!

albert_dao
10-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Haha I'm enjoying this. Keep it up !!!

Wtf? This is wildly inappropriate

acepumping
10-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Me reading or the thread that is WAY off topic..

spit.fire
10-25-2014, 10:57 PM

Did you want me to draw you a Venn diagram?

reefwithareefer
10-26-2014, 04:09 AM
Easy to say, hire someone else.. Obviously some people have never owned a small business, nevermind a LFS. If it was so easy, everyone would be doing it.

I just started to goto Oceanic last year. At first I was a lil ticked that I went there a few times and it was closed. Then I talked to Paul and Albert, got their numbers and now I just call before leaving and usually they would open up or give me a time that they would be there.
Is it as good as always being there? No it is not, but it is not so bad as they sell quality stuff and it is not out in Burnaby.

If everyone shops there, I would assume it would grow to where there could be a bigger selection etc. Instead, everyone expects to be treated like they are the only ones who matter. I say support small local businesses and you will not have to deal with places like Petsmart or Petlovers.

No I am not a "best Buddy" of Pauls or Alberts, Just a guy who is not so impatient. I prefer to deal with people who are passionate enough about a hobby that they took a risk to open up a store, because there are none locally.

Cujo#31
10-26-2014, 05:14 AM

Yes....it is.....my bad. WELCOME TO THE VALLEY!!!! Tons of awesone folks out here

acepumping
10-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Fine. I'll churp in..

I have never had anything bad to say about albert or Paul at the store, always treated with respect and helped when i first started years ago. If you liked them on Facebook, you would see they were busy doing a install!!!. I agree with the fact of owning a small business is hard, yet keeping someone around for when you have to step out even harder... GIVE THEM A BREAK!!!

I guarantee if your looking for good quality frags and corals IN A LOCAL STORE, you won't find better.. knowledge is key too. They are both very smart when it comes to this stuff..

Go pay a visit!!!!!

Cujo#31
10-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Understandable the challenges involved in running a small business. I think I speak for everyone when I say hell ya support the local guy (as long as he is not raping you and knows he is). Especially since I had already noted they had a great selection, and quality looking livestock....Both reasons why I have made repeated trips and took the time to detour specifically to visit the shop. Only to find a closed shop. Facebook, PM's.... Have we missed the most basic form of communication? A simple, and effective note posted on the door, with a contact number, and I would have grabbed myself and fell to the floor and waited for someone to drop by and let me in. 99 days out of 100 between my job and my family I'm running like my hair is on fire. The most valuable commodity I have is also the most difficult to get....time. I do not know either owner, although it is no secret they are the kind of folks we want to visit when we are stocking our obsessions. The most difficult thing to express in digital communication is tone, intent. Never intended any malicious intent, only tried to express frustration. And yes, if I can get in, I'm still giving them my money. I'd much rather support the local guy than a hack no mind hocking garbage stock or a corporate machine.

acepumping
10-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Understandable the challenges involved in running a small business. I think I speak for everyone when I say hell ya support the local guy (as long as he is not raping you and knows he is). Especially since I had already noted they had a great selection, and quality looking livestock....Both reasons why I have made repeated trips and took the time to detour specifically to visit the shop. Only to find a closed shop. Facebook, PM's.... Have we missed the most basic form of communication? A simple, and effective note posted on the door, with a contact number, and I would have grabbed myself and fell to the floor and waited for someone to drop by and let me in. 99 days out of 100 between my job and my family I'm running like my hair is on fire. The most valuable commodity I have is also the most difficult to get....time. I do not know either owner, although it is no secret they are the kind of folks we want to visit when we are stocking our obsessions. The most difficult thing to express in digital communication is tone, intent. Never intended any malicious intent, only tried to express frustration. And yes, if I can get in, I'm still giving them my money. I'd much rather support the local guy than a hack no mind hocking garbage stock or a corporate machine.

Exactly!!! Help our locals and keep the stores alive.. we don't have many around here, which kinda sucks. But I fully agree with the no time and then going to see it closed.. I too, never have a second to breathe usually...

But besides Facebook and social media.. we still have our phones to make a call...
It's good to voice our opinions for sure...

Cujo#31
10-27-2014, 01:58 AM
I don't know how to respond to this. If this is the Gary I'm thinking of, I do believe we had previously tried to make some arrangements and I did my best to follow up on it. Again, I'm really sorry to have wasted your time, but we did have a dialogue and I'm a little perplexed as to how that communication broke down. Hell, I have your number on my cellphone still. But it is what it is.

Might be another Gary bud. Until this thread I had no idea you were a part of the store. Otherwise you would have had a heads up I was looking.

brittanyk
10-27-2014, 05:59 AM
Yup so I moved to the valley :) lol

Cameron
11-10-2014, 04:08 AM
Also in Abby. South near the university. I have some GSP for free if you like.