PDA

View Full Version : first time with a calcium reactor

Fesso
10-15-2014, 03:24 AM
Alright, so I have set up a new tank. It's about 130 Gallons... 80x20x20. I used rock from my old tank and a bunch of live rock I bought that I cycled in a Brute until the tank was up and running. I put my livestock in a few days ago and everything is dandy.
I have a mix of sps (some colonies but mostly frag(ish) pieces) LPS, Zoas, a clam ect...
Parameters are all kinda low
Calcium - 330
Alk - 7.7
Mag - 900
Not sure what's going on with those numbers. The salt was mixed in the tank(empty) 10 days ago and I added the rock a week ago.... corals a couple days ago.
Could it be that the Reef Crystals was a "bad" batch? I did have a fair amount of sediment after mixing the salt. I assume calcium precipitation, but it wasn't too drastic...
Anyway here's my question. How fast should I get the calcium reactor online. Do I need to bring my levels up a little before bringing it online like I would before using kalk? Any tips?
I have a GEO 612 Calcium Reactor, I still need to clean it and get the tank filled. Should I be in a rush?
Thanks
I am going to post some of these questions in my build thread too.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109767

mark
10-15-2014, 03:33 AM
My experience with a Ca rx are great for maintaining levels but easy to spike alk if you push.

I'd dose first and no huge rush as many just dose only to keep the levels.

Aquattro
10-15-2014, 04:49 AM
At this point you don't need to worry about it. With the coral load being mostly frags, Ca and friends should maintain sufficient levels between water changes. Those numbers are low though, so first verify with other kits to make sure your kits are right, then dose up with 2 part to get to the levels you want. RC should be close or above 400ppm Ca, above 7dKh alk. Mg I would expect in the 1100 range. Those numbers are below what Instant Ocean claims is their minimum levels and RC should be higher.

Currently my Ca reactor is sitting in my kitchen, no rush to hook it up with a tank full of frags. Also, I use mine to more maintain levels rather than boost levels.

Fesso
10-15-2014, 01:49 PM
That's kinda what I figured. I used Kalk on my old tank to keep parameters stable and adjusted with 2 part now and then. I have some 2-part. I'll bring the numbers up a bit and take my time getting the reactor online.
Thanks.