PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used this pump - Oase

SaltyDog143
10-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Here is a link to a pump that one of my lfs is raving about. It is for fountains but has an adjustable output, moderately priced, says he has never had one come back. Is using this particular pump for numerous different applications.

Just thought I would see if any of you have anything good or bad to say about it.

http://store.oase-usa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54&limit=100

Skimmerking
10-15-2014, 02:30 PM
why not just stick with a mag 4,5,7 i have never has problems with those cheap and reiable

SaltyDog143
10-15-2014, 04:23 PM
I would need a mag 9 for flow rate and head pressure, i hear they are loud and create alot of heat and the lfs has it for $195. This is going to sit in my living room so I want as quiet as I can get.

FishyFishy!
10-15-2014, 11:22 PM
I really love my mags. Its really easy to quiet them down by simply adding a valve right after the output to dial it back just a little.

Thats a little steep for a mag9.5....order one online.

WarDog
10-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Have you considered the Eheim compact+ series?
A Mag 9.5 retails for less than $120, something smells fishy.

dino
10-16-2014, 12:07 AM
A lot of people don't use mags anymore because they are somewhat loud and inofitiant

SaltyDog143
10-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Yes the Eheim compact is on my list of possibilities but no one local has them and have not read anything about them, good or bad. Its almost as if no one uses them?

mark
10-16-2014, 12:37 AM
love the internet. Question about 1 thing, 6 answers about something else.

WarDog
10-16-2014, 01:50 AM
love the internet. Question about 1 thing, 6 answers about something else.

This is true! I'd be worried about a LFS trying to sell a pump that honestly, I've never heard of before, yet stocks Mag 9.5's for $200. If you are anywhere near Concepts, go talk to them.

ronau
10-16-2014, 02:16 AM
Yes the Eheim compact is on my list of possibilities but no one local has them and have not read anything about them, good or bad. Its almost as if no one uses them?

Order online, most places offer free shipping after a certain amount and usually easily attainable.

Nate
10-16-2014, 02:43 AM
Oase pumps are great quality. Used them in many ponds. Don't know about marine tanks. I've used them twice and only gotten 2-3 years out of them with fairly routine maintenance.

That being said, where are you not finding the compact series from eheim? I'm the distributor rep/aquatics purchaser for eheim with calgary as my sales area.
Most stores have them, everyone of them have access to them.

Personally I use the eheim 1262 wherever I can. The things are old workhorses. Go forever. SILent as a mouse...

Compact are great too but you can't beat 1262 reliability.

Hope that helps.

SaltyDog143
10-16-2014, 03:09 AM
Thanks Nate

That is exactly the kind of input I was looking for, my only issue with the 1262, will it be powerful enough for my tank? 120gal plus approx 35gal in sump with a 5' lift.

Thanks again for the input
Randy

ronau
10-16-2014, 03:56 AM
Thanks Nate

That is exactly the kind of input I was looking for, my only issue with the 1262, will it be powerful enough for my tank? 120gal plus approx 35gal in sump with a 5' lift.

Thanks again for the input
Randy

According to the pump performance curve, at 5' of head the 1262 should be outputting ~740 gph.

SaltyDog143
10-16-2014, 02:24 PM
I am going to see if I can get my hands on a 1262, I know my lfs doesn't carry them but maybe they can get me one in or I will order one online, on the other side of the coin if any of you have one for sale and are willng to ship give me a shout.

Thanks
Randy

Fesso
10-16-2014, 03:20 PM
my 1262 has been running 3 years and is really quiet. I don't have your head height but I am using on my 120(ish) with a minifold, plenty of flow!

SaltyDog143
10-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Ordered the Eheim 1262 from lfs, should be here mid next week cost $185

Skim
10-18-2014, 08:25 AM
I just thought I would pipe in hear because I see and hear this a lot and I don't under stand. You asked if it would have enough flow. my question is why do you want a lot of flow. You want a flow rate through the sump of about 2 to 3 max times the tank volume. I have see friends tanks that they had flow rates like 800 to 1000 gal/h and as we are admiring the tank he says " Ya its OK looks not to bad" and yes it could look better " but my skimmer sucks I need to get a bigger one". Now lets stop here and look at say 100 gal tank say 30 gal sump add rocks sand and your back to say 75 to 100 Gal volume. Now in this sump you have say a couple reactors and a skimmer that is rated accordingly. Now if you look at the average pin wheel skimmer the water through the skimmer is say 100 to 160 gal/h lets say 145 ( Omega 150 rating ) and we are trying to feed it with water that is traveling 800 to 1000 even 500 gal/h and can't figure out why the skimmer is not preforming like it should and the GAC is crap and my phosphates won't go down or won't go any lower, well you have dialed back the flow rate on the GFO and GAC to about 50 to 80 Gal/h so it just has a slight tumble. Now this is fine if you have all this stuff hanging on the tank and you a feeding them directly in and out of the tank. We have to look at it like the sump is the feed point for all these great devices and adjust the feed accordingly. So back to my example, and you go out and get a bigger skimmer and it preforms better, why is it because its bigger or because it has a larger pump that has a higher flow rate through the skimmer.
Anyhow I think you know what I am trying to say by now SLOW flow through the Sump and higher flow rate within the Tank. As for my friend I told him dial back on the flow through the sump and crank up those wave makers that you have dialed back because you say there is too much flow in the tank.
He called me a week later and said his skimmer is working fantastic pulling black stinky stuff out and tank has never looked so good.
Just one more point. You go back 10-15 years and it was the opposite you had a beast of a skimmer that was fed with Mag 12 min to Mag 24's or Gen X high pressure pumps into a Becket or Down Draft system and then it was my skimmer sucks I need a bigger one its not working as it should then you where asked what's your flow rate to the sump, ah 400 to 500 not enough you have to up it to at least 800 to 1000 Gal. your not feeding enough go figure I have a pump that's pushing 1200 to 2000 Gal/h into the skimmer and I'm not feeding it enough.
Anyhow just something to think about.

All the best.

Mike

SaltyDog143
10-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Mike I appreciate your response, I am new and looking for advice. I am quite mechanically inclined and have no issues with figuring things out but I need a basis to go off of to do that. I cant pull flow rates out of mid air, I can only go on others advice. I have been told by many people that the rule of thumb is 10x your display tank for flow rate of your pump.....120gal x 10 = 1200gal/hr the Eheim is only rated for 900, which is why I was questioning it and looking for something that was rated better. I also dont want a pump that is noisy as this is going to sit in my livingroom, dont want one that gives off too much heat, want one that is relatively good on power, reliable and hopefully wont break the bank. I also like the idea of dc pumps but most people screamed stay away from them.

I understand what you are telling me and it makes sense, I agree the slower rate should give better results, btw I have a JNS U2 skimmer rated for approx 300gal but more realistically 200gal, should do a good job in my 120 + 30 or so in the sump.

As you can well imagine when you ask for advice online you have to sift through it and determine what is best for you, I have been trying to figure out what will work best for me and to be honest was very frustrated to find out that no one can seem the agree on what is best; 2 guys tell you that "X" product is great to have 5 more tell you its crap, or that said product didn't fit into what I wanted from the product. I was going to buy a mag 9.5 from my lfs but from reviews it is loud and creates alot of heat, and frankly I think his price is high at $185. I do try to support my lfs but I am not going to break my bank account to do it.

The other fish store in town actually doesnt do salt water, he is big into ponds and fresh water, and a good guy to deal with, I will buy some stuff from him (he is bringing in my Eheim for me) and I will buy stuff from the saltwater guy (stand, sump and misc so far).
Again, thanks for the input and advice, just wanted to explain why I was questioning the Eheim 1262.

Cheers
Randy