PDA

View Full Version : "Over-wintering" the pond

TANGOMAN
08-31-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm so excited to be preparing for yet another long, cold winter! I don't think my Koi are goona' wanna' stay outside though... :rolleyes:
I put in a small pond this summer and a winter retreat is being prepared. I bought the coolest "kiddie pool". It's purple, with yellow octopus' & starfish. I just wish the wife didn't make me put it in the basement. It'd look great in the dining room... :lol:
I'll be bringing the filter system in as well, but I'll need lighting for the plants which I develpoed a passion for too.
What is the minimum lighting requirement I'll be able to get away with ? Will a pair of 40W flourescents be ok ? I don't care if they grow much, just survive the winter.

Richer
08-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Since kiddie pools aren't that deep normal flouresecent lighting will do. Approximately how much surface area do you need to cover with your lighting?

-Richer

TANGOMAN
08-31-2004, 03:58 PM
The pool has approximately a 5' diameter. I can easily section off a portion to maintain the "floaters" so they remain under the lamps. Idealy, I'd like to use a pair of 4' lamps... :confused:

Richer
08-31-2004, 03:59 PM
In that case, a pair of 4' flourescent lights will do just fine.

-Richer

UnderWorldAquatics
08-31-2004, 05:46 PM
Im doing the same with my Koi, putting them inside in a tank for the winter, trying to figure out if I should dig up my canan lillies too, they are flowering right now :mrgreen: