PDA

View Full Version : Kalk dosing cont....

robert
09-29-2002, 12:21 AM
Hi!
This is a continuation of my previous post regarding dosing kalk. I built my reactor today, see photo here (http://www.pixfolios.com/pics/reactor.jpg). I am not very good in DIY stuff, but I tried. OK, I modified a bit the design that was provided in Stephane post (thanks again Stephane). After a bit of thinking about auto injector on float switch or similar system I decided for something else. Here is a brief description. Using needle valve (or other valve with some precision control) I will be dripping output from my kalk reactor to match my evap. rate. It shouldn't be a problem since my evap. is about 1.5gal a day and the valve I have now can do easily about drop/5 sec. RO/DI water will be constantly pushed to the reactor from my storage container creating constant pressure to keep drip rate stable. I done some tests during the day to monitor how My MaxiJet 1200 performs under constant pressure pump attached to needle valve. I am very pleased with test results. I monitored the drop rate using measuring cup and it was pretty constant. Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.

Doug
09-29-2002, 10:20 AM
Looks like its coming good Robert. I have the same as Stephane. Never fired it up yet.

Still for the life of me, cant figure out how a powerhead used inline would not leak.

I was thinking a Mag2 for mixing would be better. However it costs to much for that purpose.

robert
09-30-2002, 03:23 AM
Thanks DOug. MaxiJet manfct. states that propeller compartment is fully sealed. I found quite a few people on Internet that use MaxiJet pump out of tanks for close loop systems. No major leaks reported. Some people even claim leak free performance for many months. Mine is running for last 48 hours no leaks at all. ;)

reefburnaby
09-30-2002, 03:35 AM
Hi,

I have a maxijet running in externally for about a year. There is an o-ring (similar to a Mag) that forms a seal between the impeller cover and the main powerhead assembly. The o-ring should be periodically inspected since they do harden and leak over time. Some silicon should fix the problem if you don't want to buy another o-ring.

- Victor.

robert
10-01-2002, 02:05 AM
More thoughts and ideas on my setup please :confused: