PDA

View Full Version : Making pale acros darker

Proteus
10-10-2014, 03:09 AM
I've noticed lately my acros have become quite pale. I do understand this happens in a zeo tank but would like my darker colors back.

Zeo tank
Po4 undetected
No3 undetected
Cal 450
Alk 7.5
Mg 1420
Temp 80
Lights 250w halide 20k 8hrs

I dose amino acid, coral vitalize, coral booster... I use to dose flatworm stop which makes colors darker but it's 90$ a bottle

Any suggestions

Aquattro
10-10-2014, 03:20 AM
I never had my acros pale out and figured it was due to very heavy feeding of the fish. Maybe increase feeding?

monocus
10-10-2014, 03:20 AM
have you tried potassium

Proteus
10-10-2014, 03:32 AM
I never had my acros pale out and figured it was due to very heavy feeding of the fish. Maybe increase feeding?
I don't feed very heavy. Literally I cut one cube into 4 pieces. I should try feeding twice a day
have you tried potassium
I have a bottle but have yet to try.

I wish I could get a decent pic but my red planet is pink and yellow.

reefwars
10-10-2014, 03:53 AM
up the fish load and feedings if you can , lots of small schooling fish they eat lots of food and provide lots of nutrients. The nicest stocked sps tanks always seem to have a goof supply of fish load.

Colors are mostly related to lighting and nutrients , maybe a color change in lighting will help too.

reefwars
10-10-2014, 03:56 AM
You can test for potassium although most foods are loaded with it , but in carbon dosed system it can tend to get a bit low.

Aquattro
10-10-2014, 03:57 AM
Dosing K in my tank never made any difference in anything other than my wallet :) I do feed very heavy though, pellets 4 or 5 times /day, mysis twice a week and a sheet of nori daily.

gregzz4
10-10-2014, 04:05 AM
up the fish load and feedings if you can , lots of small schooling fish they eat lots of food and provide lots of nutrients. The nicest stocked sps tanks always seem to have a goof supply of fish load.

Colors are mostly related to lighting and nutrients , maybe a color change in lighting will help too.
I've always been an advocate for goof fish loads :smile:
Honestly though, when my corals started bleaching, I backed my lighting off, added more fish, upped fish feedings, and then slowly ramped the lights back up
This eventually brought my corals back to life

Dosing K in my tank never made any difference in anything other than my wallet :) I do feed very heavy though, pellets 4 or 5 times /day, mysis twice a week and a sheet of nori daily.
I feed pellets twice daily, and a seafood mix nightly
Nori I feed a couple times/week as I only have wrasses. But I suppose I should give them more, for the veggie experience
I also feed some flakes a couple times/week. A mix of meat and veggie stuff

Rice Reef
10-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Feed a bit more. Since you are using zeo stuff have you may also want to consider aminos or pohls Xtra? K and b balance help but for now I woould go with aminos or pohls Xtra first ( you could consider coral vitalizer as well).

Proteus
10-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I do dose aa, vc and xtra. I upd feeding to 2x and took a hour off of light schedule

Rice Reef
10-11-2014, 10:49 PM
I do dose aa, vc and xtra. I upd feeding to 2x and took a hour off of light schedule

Hmmm... Well u got me stumped.... Any chances they are premium RR pieces? :biggrin:

Proteus
10-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Hmmm... Well u got me stumped.... Any chances they are premium RR pieces? :biggrin:

Lol im hoping the xtra food helps and I do have a couple rr pieces that are nice though not rr nice Haha..