PDA

View Full Version : Glass suction cups...

Quinn
08-31-2004, 04:20 AM
These things would do a 150 gal fine right?

And where would I get them, an equipment rental place or possibly a glass shop?

Moving my tank downstairs tomorrow <dread>. :sad:

Aquattro
08-31-2004, 04:31 AM
Can't you and a buddy just carry it?

Delphinus
08-31-2004, 04:45 AM
I couldn't find actual glass holders for my move. What we used were really for appliances. The rental place wasn't too keen to hear what I had intended to use them for and made it rather clear that it was my risk if I wanted to use them for glass.

The glass ones use at least three suction cups per handle. Supposedly very expensive to buy (something like $750-1000)? Too bad, something like that could come in handy once in a while ... :biggrin:

Anyhow, any tool rental place ought to have the appliance cups. I wouldn't rely on them for anything other than lifting the tank off the stand (and perhaps final positioning onto another stand). Once you have a gap underneath it, then get a hand underneath. Definitely don't carry the tank by them solely.

Quinn
08-31-2004, 05:01 AM
Brad yes there will be two of us... unfortunately the tank is 1/2" glass and must weigh 400lbs. My back already hurts. Dammit Bones I'm a geek not a mover.

EmilyB
08-31-2004, 05:46 AM
Pisces has them. I'd rather pay then risk, but that's just me. :mrgreen:

Aquattro
08-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Quinn, I think it's only 253 pounds. Pretty sure that's what mine is.

Quinn
09-01-2004, 06:06 AM
Hmm I think you're right Brad. I swear it was heavier taking it up the stairs. Anyways coming down today was quite easy, the stand was more trouble since it's large and hardly fits through doors (had to take one off its hinges).

Am now moved to Lethbridge! :smile:

reefhawk
09-01-2004, 07:42 AM
picked up a pair of those suction cup lifters at a place called princess auto. They resell military surplus and re furbished autio equipment farm impliments and tools etc at discount. Only paid like 10$ each for 'em. would be perfect for your application.