PDA

View Full Version : Noob chronicals - plumbing questions

SaltyDog143
10-09-2014, 02:53 PM
We are almost ready to start plumbing, I plan on bring the tank to one of our local glass companies yo drill the back for my return line as I think it will look alot cleaner this way.

This is a 120gal tank, 48" x 24" x 24" with a rear external return. There are 2 - 2" return lines, not sure why 2 but it came that way. I will include some pictures, but my thoughts so far are to Y the two returns into one, install a gate valve to tune, tanke it down to the sump and T into two again before the filter socks. Does this sound reasonable? Is there a better way?

Next, the return line -
I have not picked up my return pump yet, but thinking I will use a 3/4" return line, intending to use a ball valve as a safety. Here is the part that I need help with on suggestions. The wall behind my tank backs onto my kitchen, if I run a line through the wall I can access the kitchen plumbing for a drain, ie draining during water changes or for an emergancy overflow drain to try to prevent flooding. This part I have no clue about, how would you guys handle this?

Slowly but surely getting closer
Randy

IanWR
10-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I think in the first paragraph you are meaning drains, but saying returns. You have 2 drains, just set it up as a herbie. Do not t them together. One line will be your full siphon, put a gate valve on that, somewhere easy to reach. The other one will be your dry (or mostly dry) emergency line. Done correctly you will have a silent drain with no bubbles in your sump.

As for your return, drill if you like, or just over the top works fine as well. You can paint that section of pipe black if you would like it to be less visible.

SaltyDog143
10-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Good catch, yes my thinking at the time was return water to sump, these are definately drain lines, sorry for the mix up, not sure why but this thing wont let me edit my post to fix it.

So if I am reading this right, run one drain line to one filter sock and the other drain line to the other filter sock? the main line would have the gate valve and the other would just be a straight run with nothing in it? as you can see from the pictures one drain line is cut on an angle while the other is almost straight, not much in height difference, should I cut the main one shorter or do you think they would be ok as they are?

Guess I will now do some reading on a herbie system

Thanks for the input

WarDog
10-09-2014, 08:09 PM
A 2 inch gate valve is big bucks, and IMHO overkill. Consider 1 and a half for main drain. Also, if it were me I would replace all plumbing and bulkheads in the overflow, but that's up to you.

Study up on the Herbie method and you will be right as rain.

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-09-2014, 08:09 PM
your main drain witch is the shorter one way below water level in your overflow box have it to go into your sock area make sure the valve goes to this pipe and easily accessible to adjust the water level in the overflow box.the second drain pipe have it cut to just over you water level in your overflow box after setting the level you are happy with as this is your emergency drain to anywhere in your sump.

Best to measure your water level by shutting all electricity off and check where the water level sits in your sump mark it on the glass and never over fill your system with RO or water changes.
I have seen people making a hole from the top section of their sump that runs directly into the floor drain as an emergency.

Make sure the glass you want to drill into is fine.As the tank looks a little old or maybe just dirty:biggrin:
Is you are building a canopy then I wouldn't drill the glass as the canopy will hide the pipes.

WarDog
10-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Also, don't cut into your kitchen drain unless you know exactly what you are doing. If you do make sure you include a P trap so sewer gasses can't travel back up to your tank!

SaltyDog143
10-09-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm not real sure about taking the whole drain lines and bulkheads in the overflow apart and redoing them, they are siliconed and glued, I think the risk of breaking something are pretty high, I will look it over closer and consider this. But if I do this then what? replace all with 1.5" lines? is the reason you say this just to save some money on the gate valve? If so I would sooner spend the few bucks and not risk the extra damage. I do appreciate the opinion and advice.

As for the glass being dirty, yes I took that picture before we started cleaning the tank, its much cleaner now. The return lines still have a bunch of gunk on them but I was told I am wasting my time getting all that stuff off because it will all come off when I cycle the tank.

I have started reading up on the herbie and have to say I really like that idea, just wasn't sure what to do with the other drain, I guess I will just put it into the other sock slot.

At this point I have no intentions of putting a conopy on the tank, later on during the winter or spring I will build a wood surround for the sump, but will see what I think about a canopy later.

I am a carpenter by trade, I have worked with many plumbers and have fixed lots of things around the house like sinks, drains, toilets, taps, etc I do know the basics of plumbing, but have no idea how to design the plumbing for a tank which is why all the questions, I am confident that once I get an idea what needs to be done that I can do it.

As for the drain in the kitchen, I brought this up because I have the option and have no idea how to take advantage of it, was hopeing that one of the wise folks here would have a good idea to use this as an emergency backup to help prevent a flood.

Thanks again
Randy

reefwars
10-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Drains don't go into the sock your main goes into the chamber just before the socks and flows over that baffle into the socks. This is so you can remove your socks without drains in the way. Your main gets submerged in that chamber till about 1" from the bottom

Your emergency can go anywhere , preferably just above the water somewhere

That sump looks familiar;)

SaltyDog143
10-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks reefwars, pretty sure I know who you are now, lol.
This had me baffled (pun intended) as to how I was doing this now its so obvious I feel dumb, lol

Was wondering how do I keep the drain line in the water and still get the sock out later for cleanings... this is why I ask noob questions better to look like a fool now than look like a fool later AND have to fix something stupid.

reefwars
10-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Yeah it was builtyby us at concept No such thing as a dumb question we've all been there and it's what this site is made for:)

Any questions just shoot ok:)

toxic111
10-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Randy, I'll come by next week once you are home and I'll help you get all the plumbing figured out... But everyone above is on the right track...

SaltyDog143
10-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks Kevin