PDA

View Full Version : Newb Lighting on the budget.

MoreDakka
10-08-2014, 06:09 AM
As if you guys haven't seen this topic enough but I can't find much info on the Current USA Orbit Marine LED on this board. The Amazon questions, as well as drsfostersmith show that it's a solid unit for a budget for someone who might grow LPS and maybe SPS closer to the surface.

I have a small budget but wondering if it's worth it to save more for a Photon 32 or if I can get the 36" Orbit LED and a Jebao RW-8 for my 45g (24" deep)?

Will the Orbit do what all the reviews are saying it will do? Why is it so much cheaper than everything else, specially with it being programable?

I don't have anything in my tank cause my CF ballast finally died and I've not have much luck in this tank yet...possibly because of the bulbs and a few other issues that I hope I've cleared up with the water changes. My CUC is still chugging along bug there isn't anything in there to dirty up the water anymore and I'm sure I'll start to lose those too :-/

Anyways, sob story out of the way, will the Orbit work in my el-cheapo case?

Thanks!

Craigdillman
10-08-2014, 06:28 AM
I think those kinda look like crap personally they dont have much for power look at the par 50 par at 6 inches from water that will hardly grow shrooms, chances are if there isn't much talk on here or RC about it then its not worth taking about

At this point i would take a step back save ur money get the lights you want and save more and get the pump u want and not half ass both you'll be happier in the long run so will your tank

If you want cheap and good lights look at the reef breeders or the ever grow stuff for a tank your size you can get into a few of the 189$ value fixtures or like you said a photon light and be done with it then ur not looking back and going i settled for crap

Just my 2 cents

If i would have waited and saved and only bought the good stuff the first time id be a lot better off

hfp75
10-08-2014, 06:30 AM
If I was on a budget for lighting I'd look at the Evergrow lights from ebay.

Used from the exchange there are some deals...

For your tank, toss in a raw or cooked shrimp and anchor it to something... Your CUC will find it. For your lighting, I'd use a blue'ish CF from Home Depot over it - while your figuring out your lighting choices...

Craigdillman
10-08-2014, 06:35 AM
http://reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-24/
This will blast ur 45 gallon with led lights and its controllable

http://reefbreeders.com/shop/reef-breeders-value-led-fixtures/
or a few of these

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Evergro-D2120-V2-Dimmable-120-Watt-Full-Spectrum-LED-Light-16-Light.html
Or grow sps on the sand for cheap with 2 of these

All pretty much under 500$ for all you ever need for lights and this is over kill and upgrade rdy when u do ( and u will)

THIS pump on wave move will rock ur tanks world 99$
got one and it rocks my salt chaining bucket i have to ramp it down
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Jebao-RW-15-Wavemaker-w-Wireless-Capabilities.html

If u can't afford 500$ for a pump and lights take a bit and save and do it right

Craigdillman
10-08-2014, 06:36 AM
In an extreme cheap pinch grab a par 38 with clamp for 100$ from ebay till u get money

JmeJReefer
10-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Par 38 LEDs will do the trick. And you can get customizable color ratios from certain suppliers from eBay or aliexpress. Super cheap too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoreDakka
10-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks all for the speedy responses.

I thought those looked a bit too good to be true but why are all the reviews in favor of it, even with mixed tanks. However most of the ones I've read are shallow, 12-16".

I've looked at those PAR 38's as well, however those are $100/bulb + fixtures unless you get them from alibaba or something.

So in the end it seems like I should just wait, save a bit and put the money into the photo 24 w/ 90 optics. Might be a couple dark spots near the outside of the tank but the LPS can survive there and the future SPS would be good in the middle.

MoreDakka
10-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Are there any options around the same price / value of the photon 24 in Canada? The dollar isn't all that great for cross border transactions (adding another $70 on for exchange). Was going to get the p24 and the rw-15 for my tank at the same time. That's what the credit card is for right? ;-)

Anyways any Canadian stores that carry this unit or something similar?

Thanks.

kamloops_reefer
10-08-2014, 05:09 PM
perhaps I'm impatient - but over the last 1.5 years budget and saltwater don't mix. I just encourage you to buy middle grade stuff or if you see yourself in the hobby in the future - you will likely regret, and spend double the money anyways.

Melonbob
10-08-2014, 07:01 PM
www.reefsupplies.ca now carries the evergrow. about as cheap as you're going to get if you want something that works.

Reef Supplies
10-08-2014, 07:25 PM
if you want something that works.

1000% agreed

Melonbob
10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
I actually bought the Rapid Led Onyx fixtures and love them, but they aren't as good a deal at the evergrow since you have to get them from the states. I hear alot of good stuff about the evergrow for a budget fixture.

michika
10-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Par 38 LEDs will do the trick. And you can get customizable color ratios from certain suppliers from eBay or aliexpress. Super cheap too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the speedy responses.

I thought those looked a bit too good to be true but why are all the reviews in favor of it, even with mixed tanks. However most of the ones I've read are shallow, 12-16".

I've looked at those PAR 38's as well, however those are $100/bulb + fixtures unless you get them from alibaba or something.

So in the end it seems like I should just wait, save a bit and put the money into the photo 24 w/ 90 optics. Might be a couple dark spots near the outside of the tank but the LPS can survive there and the future SPS would be good in the middle.

2x Par38 bulb @ $40
2x Fixtures @ $7 from Rona

While this is my refugium set up, this has been sustaining clams and SPS for quite a few months now. Cheap, easy to clean, and simple to find.

Or save your pennies look for a used fixture; AI Sol, Kessil, etc. The forums here for hardware sales are very active. Youre also in Edmonton, lots of local there and LFSs for you to see a lot of these in action too.