PDA

View Full Version : Ca(OH)2

Stirfry
08-31-2004, 01:35 AM
i feel stupid asking this but what is the proper amount??
ratio of powder to water

i read it and i got a huge bucket of it for free and i have done it for weeks but all of a sudden i wenmt to do it and i forgot the dossage

Dale D
08-31-2004, 03:33 AM
I don't think there is really any set doseage for it.

Just get a clean one gallon milk jug, put a couple of teaspoons in it and fill it with water. Put the top on and shake the hell out of it. What doesn't disolve will settle to the bottom of the jug. After you use the solution in the jug add more water and shake it up again.

AJ_77
08-31-2004, 03:50 AM
The general rule of thumb for mixing kalkwasser is one teaspoon of kalk powder per gallon of water.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.htm

Stirfry
09-01-2004, 05:50 AM
i read that adding viniger to the mix it helps bi-carbonate ions instead of
carbonate ions
Ca++ + 2(OH-) + 2(CO2) <==> Ca++ + 2(HCO3-)
instead of
Ca++ + 2(OH-) + 2(HCO3-) <==> Ca++ + 2(CO3--) + 2 H2O
which is also cause from dripping to fast
i believe the mix is 30ml of viniger to 1/2 a teaspoon of kalk power
and also i head that if you add the flakes in the bottom if the bucket into the tank into an area where it will not flake onto the corals it can help with the denitrifying process.------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
The general rule of thumb for mixing kalkwasser is one teaspoon of kalk powder per gallon of water.
not to go againt this but i read that it is 1/2 a teaspoon per litler

thx for any help

i luv when my mind go blank??!!!
:evil:

Aquattro
09-01-2004, 05:52 AM
For info on the vinegar thing, do a search for an article by Craig Bigham. He came up with the idea (I think).
I mix 8 tsp of kalk with 80ml vinegar and add this sluice to a 5g of RO water. This is then used as topoff with a float valve.