PDA

View Full Version : Wandering BTA disappeared

trilinearmipmap
08-30-2004, 05:58 PM
I got my BTA 2 days ago, he seemed in good condition, about 3" size. He settled in to a spot on the rocks, he fed on some mysis yesterday.

This morning I can not find him anywhere in the tank. He must be hiding deep within the rocks. There is no tank crash and the skimmer is not going crazy so I don't think he is dead or shredded.

I expected him to wander but I thought he would go to the more light/high flow areas, not hiding under the rocks.

Tanks specs are:

120 gallon
Mag 12 return
Tunze stream 6060 on with the lights, off at night
8 x 54 Watt T5 lighting -- used by many for SPS so ought to be enough light for a BTA I imagine
Water parameters: pH around 8.25, temp varies 80 to 81 degrees, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all undetectable

Only tank inhabitants are 2 small ocellaris clowns who ignored the anemone, some hitchiker crabs I have been fishing out, some bristleworms and various other coral frags.

I'm not too worried but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should do.

AJ_77
08-30-2004, 07:08 PM
I had a tiny BTA that hid for weeks - would only peek out at the light. There will be a period of adjustment I would think - where did yours come to you from, what sort of conditions?

trilinearmipmap
08-30-2004, 07:33 PM
I ordered it from Jack at Ocean Aquatics, it was under 250W metal halide lighting I believe, it was probably only 6 hours total shipping time.

trilinearmipmap
08-30-2004, 08:24 PM
OK so my plan is to test my water parameters again when I get home and give him a couple of days to come out of hiding.

Pegasus
08-30-2004, 09:26 PM
I have three BTA's in my tank. One which had split. When I first introduced my BTA's they wandered until they found a place that suited them. One had disappeared for weeks while the other one only moved to a better spot further down the outside of the rocks. Yours will eventually reappear and settle down. However, remember that the longer he is hidden, the smaller he will become, so you will have to be prepared for this. When mine reappeared he was about one third his original size.

As for food, I feed mine krill which they eagerly accept and on occasion scallops. I have never tried mysis, but do know from trying other types of food that they will wander until they find the right current, food and lighting combination. If yours shinks too much, I used krill based pellets soaked in vitamins and some liquid inver food which I fed using a bulb type dispenser from one of my test kits. I did this until he grew large enough to accept chopped krill pieces. An eye dropper would probably work here too.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Larry

trilinearmipmap
08-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

StirCrazy
08-31-2004, 12:52 AM
mind disappeared for 2 months, thought he was dead but he reappeared 2 months ago and hasn't moved sense.

Steve

trilinearmipmap
08-31-2004, 04:04 AM
This is strange behaviour for creatures which are supposed to like light and water flow.

Delphinus
08-31-2004, 04:19 AM
Changes are hard on them though.

trilinearmipmap
09-03-2004, 03:14 AM
Today cleaning my skimmer I found a 1" red disc in the sump with no tentacles. Not sure if it is alive or dead but it smelled OK so I put it back in the main tank.

I hope this is just a split off the original anemone and not the whole thing.

Somehow he went through the slots of the overflow intake, through the 1/4" holes in my standpipe (it is capped at the top), then down into the sump.

Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all zero today.

Anyway I feel a little sick about this.