PDA

View Full Version : digital aquatics temp probe issue

e46er
09-30-2014, 12:41 AM
my digital aquatics temp probe sems to be acting up.
yesterday morning it read around 68 degrees 2 hrs later it was reading 87 degrees now this morning its back to around 69 degrees all while the tank is maintaining 78* with a different thermometer.

it appears clean but whats the best way to clean it or is it toast?? its around 2 years old or so.......

kamloops_reefer
09-30-2014, 05:15 AM
I had the same issue about a month ago - I tried buying a new one, and I found it was the head unit. it was still giving off temperatures with no probes plugged in.

e46er
10-01-2014, 03:49 AM
Seems to be the probe as soon as I unplug it it errors.

Still wondering if anyone has ideas on how to clean it without damage

patpare
10-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Did you try posting the question on there forum?

fury165
10-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Hmmmm... The RKL I have on my frag tank had the same issue last month as well. I heard the powerbar clicking rapidly and the display kept on fluctuating between 67 and 88 degrees. I realized it was the temp probe, so I swapped out the bad one with a spare probe - problem solved.

The frag tank's Finnex Titanium heater doesn't have a built-in thermostat, so the tank went up to 89 degrees by the time I fixed the problem.

Lessons learned and takeaways:

- Always use a thermometer with a built in thermostat and never rely solely on a automation like RK or Apex.
- keep an eye on your probes and calibrate every so often.
- take advantage of advanced programming features, that will mitigate such failures - e.g. Delaying the turning on and off an outlet in rapid succession etc.

e46er
10-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Did you try posting the question on there forum?

I didn't realize they had one..... thanks ill try there

fury165
10-07-2014, 08:14 PM
I didn't realize they had one..... thanks ill try there

Don't expect too much help over there.. Lots of frustrated users receiving scripted responses from the support team over there. Truly disappointing.