PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and clam color

EmilyB
08-30-2004, 05:03 AM
I got three awesome green crocea clams from SWC. :biggrin:

Trouble is, they look blue purple, but when I view them from the top of the tank they are GREEN.. :cool:

I am running AB10kkDE with PC "actinics".

Can I change the lighting to show the colors ?

Aquattro
08-30-2004, 05:09 AM
Not really. Clams always look different from the top. Best you can do is slightly angle them, but there isn't much lighting spectrum can do.

Delphinus
08-30-2004, 03:03 PM
The neatest clam tanks I've ever seen are the ones that have an angled front pane so that you can look downwards onto the clams in the tank without trying to view them through the water surface.

Maybe lower in the tank somewhere can get you a better viewing angle?

EmilyB
08-31-2004, 02:53 AM
I know that clams always look better viewed from above. The angled thing never did look natural to me.

I just wondered if different lighting (like more true actinic for example, or less? ) might amplify their natural colors. The have attached where they are at so I don't want to move them. They seem to be happy there.

So I guess my real question is, if you have a GREEN clam, that looks GREEN in your tank (aside from above), what lighting are you using?

Also, will someone build me an acrylic viewer like they use at seacare so I can view them from above easily ? :biggrin:

StirCrazy
08-31-2004, 03:42 AM
the only thing actinic did for mine was make the white on it glow blue :rolleyes:

as for the viewer how big do you need it? I should have some scrap around here to make a small tray

Steve

EmilyB
08-31-2004, 05:50 AM
Yeah, it's just a tray. I'd like about an 8" viewing area, the tray is maybe a few inches deep. :mrgreen:

Send with invoice Steve... :lol: :cool:

StirCrazy
08-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Yeah, it's just a tray. I'd like about an 8" viewing area, the tray is maybe a few inches deep. :mrgreen:

Send with invoice Steve... :lol: :cool:

let me see what I have for scrap.. only charge will be the shipping, just because your you :mrgreen:

Steve