PDA

View Full Version : Do you feed your zoas?

blackradon
09-28-2014, 06:23 AM
Hey everyone, new around these parts and I am wondering if you guys feed your zoanthids and if so, what you are feeding them. I've been doing some researching a bit and found that people seem to be having success with 'reef chilli' and 'reef roids'. What are people have success with here I canada, can you get products like the one above here in canada? Would like to hear some feedback!!

spit.fire
09-28-2014, 06:38 AM
I feed mine 8 hrs of led

blackradon
09-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Maybe I should reword it to 'what supplements do you use for your Zoas' haha

spit.fire
09-28-2014, 06:58 AM
I supplement it with sunlight

eli@fijireefrock.com
09-28-2014, 07:14 AM
All kind of feeding and supplements I blast mine with royals throughout the day as that seems to give me the color blast I am looking for.

reefwars
09-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Fish poop from business end of the fish;)

I don't feed zoanthids, I use to but growth was no better than not feeding them. I have quite a large collection and they grow fast so I think it works;ppp

Strong lights, stable parameters and strong flow.....equals great growth:)

blackradon
09-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Do you guy keep sps as well? Maybe alittle bit about the setups? LED's? Metal halide/t5 combos. Since fish poop is your supplement you bio load is pretty great? I've been reading around and some guys swear by spot feeding there zoanthids and some even broadcast feed, which seems a bit frisky to me but it seems to work for them. Thoughts? Guys that haven't tried feeding would you ever give it a try?

reefwars
09-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Do you guy keep sps as well? Maybe alittle bit about the setups? LED's? Metal halide/t5 combos. Since fish poop is your supplement you bio load is pretty great? I've been reading around and some guys swear by spot feeding there zoanthids and some even broadcast feed, which seems a bit frisky to me but it seems to work for them. Thoughts? Guys that haven't tried feeding would you ever give it a try?

Yes I do :)

I have at least a coupe different types of zoanthids kicking around though:)

Shallow coral beds (12") , t5 lights , very hi flow rate , carbon dosed system , lots of fish, strong skimmer , 2 part dosing automated , no live rock or sand , fuge, gfo and heavy feedings for fish, long walks on the beach, reg large waters changes.

Dearth
09-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Fish poop from business end of the fish;)

+1

All my coral are fed by my fish no target feeding

blackradon
09-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Has anyone ever used any supplements?

mihaivapler
09-29-2014, 12:41 AM
never used anything...just a heavy feed,very heavy,my fish are fat like a pig and that does the trick,my SPS are growing very fast my zoas duplicate like crazy,have one just bought it a month and a half a go had 7 heads and now has 20+..all i dose is alkalinity and calcium

straightrazorguy
09-29-2014, 01:37 AM
Another believer in fish poop feeding of corals here. I never fed my zoas, and they grow like stink!

reefwars
09-29-2014, 03:03 AM
Has anyone ever used any supplements?

I've used vitamin c if that's what your referring to for a long time , I don't anymore and theres no real noticeable difference that I can see.

If you need help with growth or colors maybe a little about your system and what your trying to achieve will help:)

Some zoanthids won't eat foods , well Not the ones you'll offer anyways as they are too large , some larger species like zoanthus gigantus or palythoas species will take meaty foods like mysis.

Besides photosynthesis , what they need is found in the water column , adding food won't hurt though as long as you keep the exporting of nutrients at bay with the importing of foods.remember the build up of too much foods is often a slow process that doesn't get noticed til agae takes hold which is way to late.

Aquattro
09-29-2014, 03:05 AM
long walks on the beach

Hmm, I wonder how that would work for SPS?

reefwars
09-29-2014, 03:10 AM
Hmm, I wonder how that would work for SPS?

Works great for zoas although sps may not appreciate it as they are high maintenance ......maybe dinner and a glass of wine?

Aquattro
09-29-2014, 03:18 AM
Works great for zoas although sps may not appreciate it as they are high maintenance ......maybe dinner and a glass of wine?

Good point. I'll try that.

reefwars
09-29-2014, 03:23 AM
Don't forget the mood music!

blackradon
09-29-2014, 02:21 PM
I've been reading people dose a small amount of iodine to there systems with great success! I know I every tank is different I just wanna make sure mine get the best! Haha research, research and apartently long walks on the beach! Haha

reefwars
09-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I've been reading people dose a small amount of iodine to there systems with great success! I know I every tank is different I just wanna make sure mine get the best! Haha research, research and apartently long walks on the beach! Haha

If you want to talk zoas and see my system your welcome to swing by my place and see some in action , I know a thing or two about zoanthids I even have a couple ;)

Text me if interest 403-499-8708(Denny)

spit.fire
09-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Trap?

Aquattro
09-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Trap?

I'd be cautious!

reefwars
09-29-2014, 05:36 PM
Very:mrgreen: