PDA

View Full Version : Prazipro in the reef - once and for all

tytown
09-24-2014, 03:04 AM
It is now well 2014 and no where online can a guy find any anecdotal evidence as to whether or not prazipro is reef safe.
I have gill flukes. Admittedly proper qt and treatment tactics would have saved me from being here but my only concern is adding an Achilles to the display knowing full well it could cause a outbreak of something stress induced.
Some background...
My adult emperor who I've had since juv has always had them. They come and go, some months worse than others. He'll scratch, shake, and breathe heavily when it flares up but has never gotten to the point where his life was jeopardized.
My desjardini who has recently been added 3 months ago also shows signs mentioned above. The elevated breathing with the random freak out is the tell tale. I'm confident this fish would live a long healthy life providing good water quality and a good diet. To further solidify the proof of my flukes, my starry eye does the same.
So why treat? This fricken Achilles I've had in QT for over a month! I don't want a flare up as soon as I wing him in. I know this fish is sensitive because it's my second one and this one got flukes when I was changing QT water out with DT water. This is behind me now and I've got a bomber Achilles that eats and swims like a champ.
I want to treat my display tank with prazi to smash my fluke infestation. Does anyone have any EXPERIENCE with this?
Does it have any ill effects on...
Coraline?
Pods?
Those little shrimp things that crawl everywhere when the lights are off?
Snails?
Hermits?
Bubble tips?
Sps?
Mushrooms and softies?
Macros like cheato or dragons breath?

And may I just say. I have read enough opinions on reef central and related threads on how safe or unsafe it is. Nothing any more recent than 2011. I'm hoping to get more out of people's experience rather then their opinions.

Thanks in advance!

freezetyle
09-24-2014, 04:10 AM
Prazi-pro in my experience is reef safe. I have used the therapeutic dose many times after adding new fish in a full blown reef with no ill effects.

There are some cautions though. If you are carbon dosing i would not continue. Because prazi pro will cause your skimmer to over flow, it is typically advised to turn it off during treatment. This can drop the oxygen in your tank if you are carbon dosing due to bacterial activity.

hfp75
09-24-2014, 04:37 AM
apparently it will kill your worms.... including feather dusters....

so the literature says.....

lpsreefer
09-24-2014, 04:46 AM
i have ran in it my reef without any ill affects
. i also run it in my QT system

tytown
09-24-2014, 02:46 PM
thanks everyone,
hfp75, are you able to share the literature you speak of stating it will kill your worms and feather dusters? They say the following: "There are no known contraindications to the use of Liquid PraziPro except for use in marine (saltwater) systems where flatworms of the Polycladida order are being cultured."
I dont believe bristle worms and feather dusters are members of the polycladida order.
freezetyle, what is this "therapeutic" dose you speak of? The manufacturer only describes one treatment method of 5 ml per 20 gallons for 5-7 days.
I would be interested to hear what dose you did and how you found it worked.

christyf5
09-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I ran prazipro in my full reef a few years ago with no problems. Used the dosage on the bottle. I think the treatment ran for 5 days or so before I put carbon in. I don't recall any casualties but I don't have a sandbed so I wasn't worried about worm or featherduster death affecting the tank at all.

Delphinus
09-24-2014, 07:09 PM
I lost an abalone a few days after treating my old tank with Prazipro. Everything else pulled through though and the fish who had gill flukes is still with me. IMO, it may be a measured risk as far as "reef safe" goes but to me it's more important to get rid of flukes - the reef will recover.

tytown
10-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Just a quick update. I've finished 2, 5-day prazi doses on my display and it didn't have any negative effects on the health of my system. It did however obliterate my fluke infestation!
Fish, inverts,stony and softies all fared well. The shape of my BTA's has changed a bit but I imagine they'll bounce back.
Worked for me but it's no damn fun pouring chemicals in the display and having to turn the skimmer off for 2 weeks.
Thanks everyone for sharing their experience!

hfp75
10-04-2014, 03:48 PM
I'm just finishing setting up my 4' display and have had fish & coral all over while I moved. It's 2/3 full and I thought now would be the best time for prazi it went in yesterday. My Xenia is not happy and the nems aren't either. I'll post an update in a few days...

asylumdown
10-07-2014, 03:22 AM
if this turns out to kill xenia, I'm sure there are a few people who'd pay extra for it...

tytown
10-09-2014, 02:52 PM
So 2 weeks following my treatment i've noticed a decline in coralline and macro (dragons breath) algae health. It seems to be going pale and almost brownish.
This could be due to a recent drop in dKh (sitting at slightly above 5) but just a heads up. Im dosing to correct for the alk drop, but will keep updates coming. Im not 100% sure the issue was from the prazi but I should be able to confirm based on how things look once i get my alk back up.
Nems, inverts and fish still doing fine.

tytown
10-09-2014, 02:56 PM
It could be one more thing, I used a lot of carbon following a large water change on my system. Perhaps a slight overdose...