PDA

View Full Version : Bright green hair algae, can't get rid of!

robbyville
08-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm having quite the problem with bright green hair algae. Especially around my zoos, and pink birdsnest. Does anyone have any ideas as to the best way to scrub the algae off?

I have scrubbed and removed, done multiple water changes over the past few months, I'm not over feeding, I am using RO/DI water. I can't seem to figure out why I am having these problems?

Any ideas as to what I can do, or test for?

Thanks!

Rob

Invigor
08-29-2004, 06:34 PM
heh, i quit using ro/di water and got a 1" turbo snail and he cleaned my tank in like a week.

i consider myself extremely lucky :)

robbyville
08-29-2004, 08:41 PM
hmmm, I didn't know that Turbos ate hair algae. I have at least 25-30 snails but am unsure as to their types.

any other thoughts?

JTrigger
08-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Get a sailfin tang. Your tank will be cleaned in no time :biggrin:
I've got a few turbos as well and they do a great job.

But I suppose you did all the other stuff, ... including trying to decrease your photoperiod, elevating the lights, checking nitrates, etc.

- JT

robbyville
08-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the thought,

No tangs for me, I have all the fish that I want or can keep in the tank. But I think I'll see about the turbos. Has anyone been by J&L recently and seen any turbos there, or perhaps other shops?

We are leaving for two days in Seattle and could pick some up on the way back.

thanks again!

Rob

Rick_B
08-30-2004, 01:10 AM
Most pesky algaes can be controlled by two things: 1- reduce your organic load, and 2- increase your alkalinity. To reduce your organics, make sure your protien skimmer is working good. If you don't have a skimmer, get one. If you cheaped out when you bought your skimmer, upgrade it or just increase your water changes. I eliminated my hair algae by stepping up my water changes from 20% per month to 20% per week. To increase your alkalinity, do more water changes with a properly balanced salt mix or use an alkalinity buffer. Make sure that your buffer is not just pure bicarbonate (HCO3) though, you need carbonate (CO3) also. Your skimmer will work better with an elevated alkalinity as well. shot for 4-5 meq/L for your alkalinity.

Rick

dbdavid
08-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi Rob, does this algae look like the picture in this thread?

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6905&highlight=maidens

I had it on a single rock that I got with my zoos. It never spread off the rock as I had it on the sandbed by itself. I tried to remove it but it always came back.

It was actually very nice looking but it overtook the rock from the zoos. I sold the rock and havn't seen any since.

Dave

Pegasus
08-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Rob

Hair algae is usually fueled by phospates and silicates. Since you are using RO/DI water we can rule out the silicates. Although phospates are also removed in RO/DI water, they can be introduced into the tank via feeding commercially prepared foods. This may be your problem.

Larry