PDA

View Full Version : And then there was 2

The Guy
09-21-2014, 04:07 AM
I bought a RBTA at one of the frag swaps a few months back, it moved around a few times and grew to double the size it was when I got it.
So today I noticed I now have 2 of them, not sure if that's good or not.
What's the best way to dislodge them from live rock or what ever it's attached to?

duncangweller
09-21-2014, 04:52 AM
I had a nightmare detaching them. Apparently you can put an ice cube in their foot, aim a power head at them or put a small bit of rubble in their path and catch them as they move and remove the rubble when they attach.

I just ended up chiseling the rock they were on to get them off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AquaPin
09-21-2014, 06:34 AM
I have had best results "in tank" from the powerhead method; ice cubes did nothing for me. If the rock is easy to remove I have great results taking the rock out and having it upside down over the tank or bucket; takes a few hours but they always seem to dislodge.

The Guy
09-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Sounds like I'll have try the power head method as the rocks are too hard to remove and not sure I can get an ice cube at the foot area. Hope I'm not going to regret getting one of these guys! But they are kinda cool.

mark
09-21-2014, 02:20 PM
I got one of mine to release just by rubbing around it's foot with the dull end of a toothpick. Took a long time but when I repositioned him, it grabbed on right away.

dino
09-21-2014, 03:13 PM
If your not wanting it and I read in a post you might have a maxi mini that your thinking of getting rid of feel free to pm me and we can maybe work something out.

hfp75
09-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Before you remove one - it's a rough procedure... Give it a few weeks to heal. I tried to detach one that had recently split and it died. After a split they are fragile and need some healing time...

The Guy
09-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Before you remove one - it's a rough procedure... Give it a few weeks to heal. I tried to detach one that had recently split and it died. After a split they are fragile and need some healing time...
I read that about them I'll leave them be for a few weeks for sure, as Dunc mentioned some small pieces of rubble would be good, I'll try that when I do attempt a removal.