PDA

View Full Version : Can fins grow back

The Guy
09-21-2014, 01:03 AM
I have 1 clown fish in my frag tank that has 1 injured pectoral fin.
I got it as sort of a rescue, it's swimming fine and has total movement on this fin. The main center part seems ok but the fin is not complete.
Not sure if it was a battle injury or? LFS says he's eating just fine, so he's alone in my frag tank along with a small hermit.
So my question is will it regrow? :noidea:

patman
09-21-2014, 01:08 AM
yes. My clown lost quite a chunk of it's fin and now it's back to normal.

Marlin65
09-21-2014, 05:26 PM
I think it might have to do with how much is gone. I have a Yellow tang that is missing a lot of his fins and they will not grow back.

The Guy
09-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Well I'll just have to wait and see, for now it's eating well and seems to maneuver around ok.

duncangweller
09-21-2014, 09:50 PM
I have an anthia that my clowns tore a huge piece of his tail off and it grew back just fine. You never would gave known

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

neoh
09-22-2014, 12:23 AM
I know it doesn't necessarily relate, but I had a goldfish who had it's tail completely bitten off, and was left with just a stub - it eventually grew back. I don't see why a clown's wont.

mikellini
09-22-2014, 01:07 AM
I bought a juvenile purple tang that had been pretty beaten up once... a few nips on the fins, scratches etc. Everything healed well within a couple of months. Then again, I've seen a larger purple tang that is missing almost all of its fins, been like that for years and won't heal. Maybe depends on the age of the fish? As well as other factors I'm sure.

christyf5
09-22-2014, 03:52 PM
aww Nemo :razz: My experience is that if its just part of the fin that is missing it will grow back. If the "stump" is involved, it is less likely to grow back.

The Guy
09-22-2014, 04:13 PM
aww Nemo :razz: My experience is that if its just part of the fin that is missing it will grow back. If the "stump" is involved, it is less likely to grow back.
Well that's good news cause the total stump is still there. :smile:

indolaya reef
09-22-2014, 04:45 PM
hi there.i have a green anemonie for trade .looking for some gsp or a toadstool.