PDA

View Full Version : banded cat shark egg

fentochris
08-29-2004, 06:40 AM
where is the best place in a tank to place the shark egg and is there anything that might be harmful to the egg? ie. hermits,shrimps?

Beverly
08-29-2004, 02:28 PM
I have seen sharks' eggs. They look rather impervious to critters like hermits and shrimp.

I'd be more concerned about how to provide a suitable home for them once they hatch. How big does a banded cat shark grow and how big is the tank you have slated for it?

kris_willard
08-29-2004, 06:00 PM
[quote="Beverly"]How big does a banded cat shark grow[quote]
3' 6"

Quinn
08-29-2004, 07:50 PM
I wish stores (the one store in particular actually) would stop selling these bloody things. And the horseshoe crabs. Completely irresponsible in my opinion and a serious black mark on their reputation.

I expect the shark will, upon hatching, eat any invertebrates present in the tank.

Majestic_Aquariums
09-01-2004, 12:27 PM
I would have to agree-I was guity of purchasing one of these over a year ago-because I was bulls#$%ed at the store we purchased it. After purchasing, we found out more info. on their size (should have been common sense I guess) and promptly took it back, as we were told later it would take 1000 plus gallons to hold a shark of this size. Since that, we have been alot more careful with purchases. As buisness owners, I don't think it would be cool to name any names, and I'm guessing most know who these stores are. We were guilty of a poor decision in the purchase of it-but the sell this type of thing all the time. Since, we haven't made a purchase there. I wonder if they think it was a worthwhile sale? Unfortunately, they don't care.I wish stores (the one store in particular actually) would stop selling these bloody things. And the horseshoe crabs. Completely irresponsible in my opinion and a serious black mark on their reputation.

I expect the shark will, upon hatching, eat any invertebrates present in the tank.

DOO-E
09-01-2004, 02:04 PM
I dont think these should be thrown off the market. There are people out there that do do the reaserch on sharks and dont want to buy the actual shark but would much rather buy a "mermaid perse". They have built their tank around the shark and this can be just as nice as a reef tank. With large angels and lionfish. I met a guy on the weekend with a 300 gallon preditor tank who has a shark he said he has a 570 gallon tank and is currently buying stuff for it. I think if you get the right size tank and do your reaserch then you would be better off. But yes they do suck for the new hobbist with a large tank full of inverts then they see the shark in the pet store. Thinking they can tell their bddies they have a shark buy it and it devourse everything in the tank that would definatly be a bad thing.

Quinn
09-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Yes I agree there are some aquarists who have the facilities to keep these animals. The problem is, one particular store insists on carrying them and pushing them without any advice as to the size these animals reach nor their eating habits. I know of too many people who had the unfortunate luck of ending up with a shark in a 100 gal tank. It's complete bollocks on the part of the store.

kris_willard
09-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Im still a firm believer that if you dont like the way a store handels them self you should let them know by not shopping there.

albert_dao
09-01-2004, 07:43 PM
The worse thing about this whole ordeal is how cheap these things are. You can pick one up for under $50. Hell, I've seen it on our list at a $15 cost. Once you ship it over, our cost on the item is only about $28 which means that it could easily be retailed for $35.

Sad but true.

Quinn
09-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Im still a firm believer that if you dont like the way a store handels them self you should let them know by not shopping there.

I'm happy to say I have bought nothing from this particular retailer at any time.

bulletsworld
09-01-2004, 09:26 PM
where is the best place in a tank to place the shark egg and is there anything that might be harmful to the egg? ie. hermits,shrimps?

O.H Boy you’re in for a real treat. The shark egg usually has a sack around the egg for its protection. No shrimp, hermit or any inverts will harm the egg.

The concept of having a shark is cool but indeed a problem later on down the road. I strongly agree with others here that most people are not able to house a shark properly because of tank size, feeding requirements & various reasons. Treatment is hard to administer if they get sick (eg, ich, velvet) and these sharks are prone to scrapping there under side on the rocks resulting in infection. Despite why the LFS sells this creature & claim they do not become large, the bamboo shark, as I found out the hard way myself, does grow to be quite large even in small tank conditions.

July of last year I purchased a used tank (77gal) that came with a shark egg that had hatched four months before & a mandarin goby. That was the only two things in this tank, so without having experience, I thought great I'll buy it & add my own fish with these fish. I hardly ever seen the bamboo shark which they love to hide under rocks or caves during any day light. Every month this shark would grow. I started to add other fish and shrimp, at first it took a week & they would disappear later it only took a couple of days before they would disappear. Not figuring out what was going on, I added 4 clowns (nemo’s) & a damsel. Next morning 3 of the clowns had gone missing! By the time I had gotten home from work, the other clown was gone too and the damsel had a piece taken out of him. Later that night I took a flashlight in the dark, trying to find the culprit…..sure enough the shark that I hardly even seen was swimming around like mad. The damsel was then eaten. :eek:

After having my Bamboo shark for 6 months (hatched 4 months before I received so 10months old) my bamboo shark was measured at being over 13” long and had a hard time moving around in the tank freely. Not to mention the cost to feed was getting expensive. It would eat approx. 7 large krill & 4 squid cubes in a day. I also found that the only fish that I could put in the tank was something the shark couldn’t put in its mouth, fast & aggressive. I also found that other fish were stressed & afraid when the shark came out to eat. Making it very stressful on inhabitants & myself. :eek:

As my shark quickly out grew the tank, I had a hard time finding a home. I ended up selling my Shark to a LFS after I only had it for 6 months. Today this shark is housed in a 4000 gal aquarium in Big Al’s in Edmonton. Two weeks ago I went to see the shark feeding; I absolutely amazed how HUGE my shark has gotten. Literally triple the size! Go visit! I will post pictures for you (before & after)!

These creatures are not for our tanks. They do get large, are aggressive and noted for the advanced aquarist with an extremely large tank for them to be happy.

Fentochris, if you would like any additional info I would be happy to forward it over to you. Let me know.

Doug
09-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Great post bulletsworld.
:smile:

kuatto
09-02-2004, 05:19 PM
I originally started with plans of keeping a Bamboo.I mulled over hundreds of plans of large tanks and what was needed to keep one of these creatures and come to realise even if I built a 500gal,it wouldn't be be enough.Have you purchased the egg yet?If so can you bring it back and just tell the store your not able to house it?