PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Magnus Curve 9 Vs Vertex Alpha 250

Bartonious
09-19-2014, 01:02 PM
I am trying to decide the best skimmer for cost value between the Curve 9 and the alpha 250. I am have a 220 gallon reef tank and am trying to trim my costs. Any reviews on either skimmers, or other ones out of the two?

Will be having a under the tank sump 60"x18"x16" utilizing a ecosystem and microalgae. Will have 150 lbs of pukani in the DT and 1" sandbed.

Any comments recommendations?

Thanks

Proteus
09-19-2014, 03:59 PM
I know of a few people who use the curve on similar size tanks and love them.
But the alpha is in a league of its own

Reef Supplies
09-19-2014, 04:43 PM
apples and oranges :-)

The Curve 9 is one of the best you can get for the money.

Bartonious
09-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Yeah? How is the noise level on the Curve 9?

Is she quiet?

Reef Supplies
09-19-2014, 05:00 PM
the curves are among the quietest in the hobby

globaldesigns
09-19-2014, 05:04 PM
I have a 200 gallon display with 100 gallon display... I using a Reef Octopus 3000Int and it works great!!!! The pumps are quiet and they pull the darkest, nastiest skimmate. I would recommend that you look at these also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefwars
09-19-2014, 05:08 PM
the curve is alot quieter than the alpha and as well a fraction of the cost:)

Bartonious
09-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks to you all. Sounds great to me.

Any of you know how to source 2 off 55 gallon containers without having to order them online? Is there any common locations that use these? I am in St. john's Newfoundland.

Stinktooth
09-19-2014, 06:26 PM
I was kinda worried about my curve 9 when I got it. It's awesome. I can handle some pretty nasty skimmer cup clean outs but the curve makes me gag every time lol. Best bang for your buck. I do think the overall build quality is better on the vertex but if I was in the market for a new skimmer my money would go to the new reef octopus regal or elite series skimmers.

Skimmerking
09-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Well I have owned pretty much everything thing out there. With your 220 gal tank. What else do you have the reason is. the red dragon pump is in a league of its own. It requires a load to work. the Alpha series skimmers are a amazing skimmer. IMHO when you look at AppLes and oranges that is great.
But its the pump that you are looking at now the plastic or the fancy stuff that comes with it. Lots of people love the recirulating skimmers I lvoe them. People think that havign a recir skimmer you can still pump the water through at the same pace as the insump skimmers. ANSWER IS NO you cant. its called over flowing the skimmer. But that is another subject. Remember all the vendors on here are going to tell yo uthis skimmer is better or that skimmer is better. Sorry vendors Im speaking my mind and giving my opinion.

Its called buy from me this skimmer is the best. IS It? please explain why. So I personally look at the name brands, Why BK, ALpha, DELTEC, H&S why cause well thier name is on the product. they have got their name on high quality pumps. other then Euro reef i while back they had the sedra pump and that was a crappy pump. then they switched to EHIem and look at them go. Took a few years to get them back.

220 gal right
sump Size
bio load
chemicals u use
type of fish u have
corals you have
room for insump
room for external
BUDGET

please let me know in a PM and I will give you what I think you shoudl have for a honest opinion. and trust me not blowing my horn but I know my skimmers ask around. Hence the user name :)

oh yes and when some one says look at my skimmer in 2 days it pulled 2 collection cups already/ hmmmmm maybe its due to being under rated skimmer.

reefwars
09-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Well...... unless your buying and a old alpha they don't come with the red Dragon pumps .......but what do I know lol

Reef Supplies
09-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Skimmer King - I assume your comment "Its called buy from me this skimmer is the best. IS It? please explain why" Was directed to us since reefwars did not post commercially?

We have had this discussion before and like I tried to explain, we are not salesmen. I'm not and neither are my guys. We built our business on honesty, we treat every client like a personal friend. We don't sell you what you don't need.

But anyway....on to the topic

Your list below is not accurate.

220 gal right
sump Size
bio load
chemicals u use
type of fish u have
corals you have
room for insump
room for external
BUDGET

I think budget should be very first on the list. With being said, lots has changed in the past few years. Most skimmer available to the hobby will do a good job if you buy the right size.

What makes a skimmer "the best you can get for the money" you ask? Simple, the longevity of the pump.

We have sold 232 (Two hundred and thirty two) Bubble Magus skimmers since the inception of our current software (was not able to check prior) and wanna guess how many pumps came back for warranty? 3 pumps!

Pump 1 Curve 5 with a bad impeller
Pump 2 Curve 9 with a bad impeller
Pump 3 E5 with a dead pump

We have also started selling out of warranty pumps. We sold 3 pumps out of the remaining 229 skimmers sold since 2011. Under $100 I may add :-)

I could get into the pump replacement and cost for the high dollar items but I would not want to **** off my suppliers :wink:

Skimmers have come a LLLLOONG way. Skimmer such as Bubble Magus and Octopus have taken over market share.

With that being said, I in no way saying that the high dollar items suck but what I am saying is that we are lucky as hobbiest to have choice these days. You don't need to spend $1000 to get a quality skimmer anymore.

Have a good day Mike

Skimmerking
09-22-2014, 03:29 PM
you dont have to get defeinsve I am stating my opinion, I just threw a list of what to find out. budget can be there at the top no one said it wasn't.
People get into this hobby for one reason to prove that they can do it and want to see beauty in their homes. Yes its $$$$$ when you get into this Hobby its going to cost you. Yes Im aware of the $$$ on a skimmer and yes you dont have to pay lots now for a pump to make bubbles. I'm not attacking you. I'm making a opinion of mine about other skimmers that have been in the past like the Euroreef and sedra pumps. If you want to talk PM me I'm not going to push on someone thread. I gave my response and will wait to hear from him.

thanks man you have a great day too

Reef Supplies
09-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Im not getting defensive, just replying to your statement "Sorry vendors Im speaking my mind and giving my opinion"

I know you're not attacking, we are having a discussion and we (even retailers) are entitled to our opinions.

Ray

Proteus
09-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Your absolutely right ray. Skimmers have become more affordable. Myself have gone to reef octo and love it. Not that the bk and alpha are not great but it seems more to the tune of paying for the name.

JDigital
09-22-2014, 03:53 PM
I must have a bad Reef Octo compared to those of you in this thread who say you love yours. LOL I HATE mine! I'll never buy a Reef Octo again.

Skimmerking
09-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Im not getting defensive, just replying to your statement "Sorry vendors Im speaking my mind and giving my opinion"

I know you're not attacking, we are having a discussion and we (even retailers) are entitled to our opinions.

Ray yes you can, but there are some of the vendors who wont discuss anything or give a reply its good to see replies from others. and plus i love stirring the pot with ya. you a ok dude man. now leave me alone Im on your webpage looking what to buy.:wink: