PDA

View Full Version : mangroves ....

Reef_kid
08-29-2004, 04:10 AM
hey everyone i just wanted to say that if anyone is looking for mangroves for there sump in the victoria area they have them at safeway (of all places) at tillicum mall..... in the floral dep.. sold for 15.99!!!!!!!!!!!!
and there are about 4 shoots per container !!! they have nice growth and leaves !!!!
cheers
dave

Aquattro
08-29-2004, 05:27 AM
Hmm, never think of going to Safeway for reef supplies!! Thanks for the heads up!!

kris_willard
08-29-2004, 05:53 AM
What do you use a mangrove for?

Richer
08-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Are the mangrooves acclimated to SW conditions? I don't know if its true, but I've read that mangrooves need to be properly acclimated, or they'll go into some sorta shock and die.

-Richer

robbyville
08-29-2004, 05:19 PM
i did some VERY PRELIMINARY research on mangroves a while back as I was told that they were suitable for high flow refugiums. But when I looked into it more I was told that you really needed a lot of them have any real benefit.

Not sure if this is true or not, anybody out there use them?

smokinreefer
08-30-2004, 01:35 AM
thats cool! i doubt my safeway has any...

i wouldnt mind gettin some, but more so as a novelty, and that i think they look cool once they start growing...

as for nutrient export, probably better off to use macroalgae. though some say the mangroves work well for them, they are trees, and they wont use up as much nurtients and wont be as efficient at absorbing them as macroalgaes. this is my opinion of course, i havent done any real research on it...