PDA

View Full Version : Apex through switch on network help

spit.fire
09-18-2014, 09:01 PM
I recently tried connecting my apex to a network switch due to lack of ports on my router. None of the computers on the switch or the apex can see of be seen by anything connected through the router but the computers on the switch have internet access

Any ideas?

krisjoseph
09-20-2014, 05:22 AM
Could be a number of things... Do you know if the apex and the other computers are on the same subnets, with the same subnet masks? Have you tried other ports on the switch (in case one is bad)?

I am shooting in the dark a little bit here because I don't know what your home network looks like or how comfortable you are with network troubleshooting. But my gut feeling is that the old router and the new one are on different subnets, so the devices can't talk to one another.

spit.fire
09-20-2014, 04:58 PM
If I connect the apex direct to my router it works fine, originally it was connected direct to the router. I added the switch so I don't have to Network my desktop wirelessly

michika
09-20-2014, 05:12 PM
I think your issue is that you require a dedicated, static, IP for all your devices plugged into that network switch. Then you should be able to reach them all.

Why; a router assigns IP addresses to every device attached to it, e.g. computer1, computer2, computer3. A network switch doesn't assign each device an IP, instead it acts as a streetlight; taking multiple lanes of traffic and directing them all down through one traffic lane to the router. In this case all devices going through the network switch will appear to the router as one device.

patman
09-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Also just guessing as would need more info, but are you sure it is a switch and not another router. You shouldnt need a static ip but it wouldn't hurt it. If it is another router it may also be set to set ip addresses. If it is a router you need to set a static ip for it and disable it from setting ip addresses (DCHP). If it really is a switch where are you plugged into from the router on the switch. Some of them have a dedicated spot (WAN,Ethernet,... something like that) that you plug the ethernet from the router. I would try switching to a different port also.

spit.fire
09-20-2014, 06:40 PM
i think my switch is buggered... its ancient, time to buy a new one