PDA

View Full Version : Prizm skimmer - Help please . . . . . . .

kennyv
08-29-2004, 03:02 AM
Hello All,

Before you all say it, I know, I know.....I should have bought a different skimmer........I bought it a few months back before I knew better....I would like to modify it in some way to make it work better...I was at Big Al's this afternoon chattin to someone who sait there is a person selling a DIY upgrade kit online. I've been searching for anything related to upgrading it but found nothing...Have any of you come across this thingie? Have any of you modified your Prizm with any success? Any help at all??

Thanks

Kennyv

kennyv
08-29-2004, 03:20 AM
Hello all, I may hve posted this too soon...I just found this in an older thred...

"all you've done by increasing the head (actually; lift) is reduce the flow just the same as if you were closing the valve. The skimmer doesnt run any better, it just makes you feel better because the valve is open like it 'should' be. A better approach is to make a short riser for the collection cup out of PVC or ABS. This will allow you to run the valve full open AND get full flow at the same time."

Sorry I should have read a bit closer before I posted...

Kennyv

UnderWorldAquatics
08-29-2004, 04:38 AM
I had pics of a prizm mod that involved a riser made of acrylic and PVC, did anyone save pics of it cuz my pics got erased, please send me copies of the pics as I get people asking about the pics every week or 2.... Thanks!

jojoseb
08-30-2004, 06:48 AM
I also purchased a Prizm unit before I knew better. The guy at Als said it would be excellent (whatever!). It took some fiddling but I finally got it to a flow rate that seems to work for my tank (thanks Chad). I marked it with a line so I could reset it after cleaning.

The main problem I have is it occasionally loses it's syphon and I get nothing at all!

I intend to upgrade to a new unit eventually. IF there is a modification, however that would let me run it at full flow - I am interested!

Companion in misery: :rolleyes: