PDA

View Full Version : Rough summer/concrete dust

asylumdown
09-16-2014, 05:48 AM
For reasons I won't get in to here, I recently had the porcelain tile floor of my main floor replaced. About 2500 square feet porcelain tiles and an inch of self leveling cement below them were jack hammered out and replaced. Whole process took 6 weeks, during which time I barely had enough access to feed my fish every day, so no water changes or water testing (I spent all of August in a hotel).

I noticed coral damage around the third week, when my entire house was covered in a half inch thick layer of dust. We had the tank enclosure wrapped in plastic, but I had to leave the vent in the bottom cabinet door uncovered so the exhaust fan could keep the tank from cooking. As a result, the inside of the cabinet got as covered in dust as the rest of the house. Frighteningly, the dust appears to have been somewhat magnetic, as I can clearly see the outlines of the magnets holding all my various sump doo-dads through their plastic casing in the dust that settled on them.

Im at about 80% coral losses at this point, and it looks unlikely the remaining 20% will survive. I've been doing massive water changes every day since I've had access to the tank again, but every morning another badly damaged colony has rtn'd to white skeleton, and I'm not seeing any signs of improvement.

Does anyone know if self leveling cement/porcelain dust has any metals in it that could nuke a tank? The tiles had a special metallic finish that made them look like polished steel, but they were otherwise standard porcelain.

Anyway, looks like I'm going fish only. If I could brick the whole thing up and forget it ever existed, I would. The tank had finally turned a corner from my early 2014 troubles, and now the coral damage I was seeing back in February/march looks like a tank of the month compared to what it is now.

WarDog
09-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your tank. I think it would be the silica dust that did the nuking. Porcelain tiles usually get their colours from glazes, which could have any number of nasty ingredients, including metals.

IanWR
09-16-2014, 01:12 PM
What a year. :(. Really sorry to hear about this latest misfortune. I've been following along with all the ups and downs. I've alway been impressed with your approach to reefing, and the time you take to document and share the highs and the lows. That you haven't immediately taken a sledge hammer to everything aquarium related in your house is yet another sign of your patience and passion for the hobby. Once the literal and metaphoric dust settles I'll be anxious to see what your next project will be.

As to the contaminates, I agree that the glaze may be the culprit. There are some really horribly toxic substances used in some paints and glazes (cadmium, etc), in addition to a myriad things that would not count as super toxic to humans but would play havoc with a reef.

Again, very sorry for your loss.

- Ian

asylumdown
09-16-2014, 06:59 PM
If it's the glaze that might explain why this didn't start until 3 weeks in. Most of the original tiles popped right off the sub floor with a single whack with a chisel (hence why they were being replaced - they weren't really attached to the ground ver well), so not many got jack hammered. The major work was the self leveling cement below them that had to be removed. However, for about 5 days before I realized what they were doing and stopped it, they were cutting the new tiles (exactly like the old ones with the metallic finish) in the dining room, right next to the tank. Looked like half the cuts were made with a handheld grinder thing, not one of those water cooled table-top cutters, so yah, lots and lots of metallic finish porcelain dust wound up in the house. I think they started doing that about 4 or 5 days before the corals started to get damaged.

So what do we think - is this salvageable with water changes, or is the rock potentially wrecked? I'm not even sure what to be testing for, or if there's anything I could test for.

asylumdown
09-16-2014, 07:04 PM
What a year. :(. Really sorry to hear about this latest misfortune. I've been following along with all the ups and downs. I've alway been impressed with your approach to reefing, and the time you take to document and share the highs and the lows. That you haven't immediately taken a sledge hammer to everything aquarium related in your house is yet another sign of your patience and passion for the hobby. Once the literal and metaphoric dust settles I'll be anxious to see what your next project will be.

As to the contaminates, I agree that the glaze may be the culprit. There are some really horribly toxic substances used in some paints and glazes (cadmium, etc), in addition to a myriad things that would not count as super toxic to humans but would play havoc with a reef.

Again, very sorry for your loss.

- Ian

And thanks. This either makes me want to quit the hobby, or use this as the excuse I needed to drain the tank and redo the overflows like I've wanted to do for a year. As frustrating as this year has been, I still can't imagine not having a tank.

SoloSK71
09-17-2014, 02:05 AM
I'm not even sure what to be testing for, or if there's anything I could test for.

Hardware stores used to sell a product called SenSafe Water Metals Test Strips, they did a lot of the ones that you would be worrying about. Thing is, you already know you have a problem. Water changes will get some of it but anything living in there will have taken some of it up and will release it over time. You could use a metal absorbing/adsorbing product and leave it in there. You can test for silica levels and see if they are insanely high.

Best bet for short term is a couple of 50% or larger water changes over a few days.

Charles

IanWR
09-17-2014, 03:05 AM
I must say if you are facing a total coral wipeout due to dust sized particles of unknown composition I don't see how any rock or sand could remain. For that matter, I would also redo the plumbing. Anything that I could not clean for certain would go.

I don't know how litigious you are, but you have experienced a loss due to the actions of others. If they were licensed contractors they should be carrying insurance that they may be able to use to cover damages. You should be compensated for rock, sand, plumbing, and possibly some amount for corals (no clue how that would get assessed).

Again sorry for you loss. Either you are apoplectic with frustration or you have the patience of Job.

mihaivapler
09-17-2014, 04:06 AM
For reasons I won't get in to here, I recently had the porcelain tile floor of my main floor replaced. About 2500 square feet porcelain tiles and an inch of self leveling cement below them were jack hammered out and replaced. Whole process took 6 weeks, during which time I barely had enough access to feed my fish every day, so no water changes or water testing (I spent all of August in a hotel).

I noticed coral damage around the third week, when my entire house was covered in a half inch thick layer of dust. We had the tank enclosure wrapped in plastic, but I had to leave the vent in the bottom cabinet door uncovered so the exhaust fan could keep the tank from cooking. As a result, the inside of the cabinet got as covered in dust as the rest of the house. Frighteningly, the dust appears to have been somewhat magnetic, as I can clearly see the outlines of the magnets holding all my various sump doo-dads through their plastic casing in the dust that settled on them

Im at about 80% coral losses at this point, and it looks unlikely the remaining 20% will survive. I've been doing massive water changes every day since I've had access to the tank again, but every morning another badly damaged colony has rtn'd to white skeleton, and I'm not seeing any signs of improvement.

Does anyone know if self leveling cement/porcelain dust has any metals in it that could nuke a tank? The tiles had a special metallic finish that made them look like polished steel, but they were otherwise standard porcelain.

Anyway, looks like I'm going fish only. If I could brick the whole thing up and forget it ever existed, I would. The tank had finally turned a corner from my early 2014 troubles, and now the coral damage I was seeing back in February/march looks like a tank of the month compared to what it is now.

it more likely from the self leveler,the dust from it..the self leveler contain some pretty nasty chemicals in it which in the moment when you start hammerit starts to get in the air and if you had the vent hole it might get in trough there and then combining with the water turns it in pure poison for you corals..the self leveler contains Ethylbenzene which is known to cause cancer and contains Butyl Benzyl Phthalate known tocause developmental reproductive toxicity..another component is the TITANIUM DIOXIDE which the same it might affected your water....probably the best solution would be to take all the corals out the water and the fish to and empty your tank and start it all over...the rock will contain all this substances to so a good bleach and cure of the rock would be necessary in order to get all the toxic chemicals out..
this is my advice as professional tile setter and fish keeper..

mihaivapler
09-17-2014, 04:12 AM
I don't know how litigious you are, but you have experienced a loss due to the actions of others. If they were licensed contractors they should be carrying insurance that they may be able to use to cover damages. You should be compensated for rock, sand, plumbing, and possibly some amount for corals (no clue how that would get assessed).

that is very hard to win a case like this..just for the simple reason that you really can't prove that any of his actions caused this problem,except if you are willing to send your water to a laboratory for a complex analysis plus a sample of your self leveler to see if they find toxic chemicals from the self leveler in the water,and probably would be a super expensive test...is just sad to hear about such a big lose..

mihaivapler
09-17-2014, 04:31 AM
it more likely from the self leveler,the dust from it..the self leveler contain some pretty nasty chemicals in it which in the moment when you start hammerit starts to get in the air and if you had the vent hole it might get in trough there and then combining with the water turns it in pure poison for you corals..the self leveler contains Ethylbenzene which is known to cause cancer and contains Butyl Benzyl Phthalate known tocause developmental reproductive toxicity..another component is the TITANIUM DIOXIDE which the same it might affected your water....probably the best solution would be to take all the corals out the water and the fish to and empty your tank and start it all over...the rock will contain all this substances to so a good bleach and cure of the rock would be necessary in order to get all the toxic chemicals out..
this is my advice as professional tile setter and fish keeper..

Found this data sheet for the self leveler..states clearly that affects the aquatic life.

Signal Word.............................................. ..... DANGER.
Hazard Classification.................................... . Skin Irritant 2. Eye Irritant 2. Skin Sensitizer 1. Reproductive 1B. Acute Toxicity 4. Aquatic
Chronic 1.
Hazard Description....................................... . H315 Causes skin irritation. H317 May cause an allergic skin reaction. H319 Causes
serious eye irritation. H332 Harmful if inhaled. H360 May damage fertility or the unborn
child. H410 Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.

Underlayment Self-Leveling contains silica, crystalline
quartz; portland cement; calcium aluminate;
anhydrite; limestone, calcium carbonate; aluminum
oxide; limestone; gypsum

asylumdown
09-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Well crap. Got in to the tank is an understatement. I just spent the last several hours cleaning the cabinet out. My dosing solutions had turned dark grey, you can see the line in the sides where the demo started, the carbonate crystals that collect as the level in the container drops go from bright white to dark grey in one line. I drained and cleaned them, but I'd wager several pounds of dust collectively settled on the water over the past few weeks.

I'm also a little freaked out that we've been living in the house without it having been properly cleaned a final time. I've changed out the furnace filters, but every day a new, fine layer of the crap settles out on everything.

Strangely, the one thing that doesn't seem harmed at all is a burgeoning population of berghia nudibranchs I didn't think had survived past the initial 10. In my 45th hour of emergency tank rescue work tonight I noticed one in the display. Then I noticed another. I stopped counting at 40. I might not have any more coral, but at least my aiptasia population should collapse...

I'm kind of grasping for a silver lining here.

hfp75
09-17-2014, 01:21 PM
The only option it seems from what I'm hearing is to view this as an opportunity to restart the tank - fresh. Wash your rocks one, twice, three times. Dump everything to be safe....

asylumdown
09-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Well I've thrown out a full garbage bag of dead coral, and fragged off what remained as best I could. There's a lot more dead stuff that still needs to be cut away, but between work, putting my house back together after a major Reno (it will be months before all the dust is finally cleaned out of every nook and cranny), trying to save th tank, and getting the house ready for sale again... Well there's only so many nights you can go to bed past 2am and still function at 8am the next day. 14 nights, to be exact, and I'm not sure I'd say I'm highly functional today.

Anyway I've done a cumulative 400% water change, ranging from 20 to 60% in volume each time as I can only make 100 gallons a day. The carnage seems to have slowed down, and a couple pieces are showing heal lines were the tissue stopped receding, but by the time I'm done cutting back all the way to healthy tissue on all colonies, most of the survivors will be frag to mini colony sized. Thankfully my largest "show piece" acro smack in the middle of the tank only lost a few of its tips.

I'm a little nervous as I'm on the plane right now headed out of town for 10 days. My dosing rates got soooooo whacked with everything dying, so I have no idea if the amount of chems I'm adding through my doser is going to keep things stable until I get back. Im going to try and find someone to at least do an alkalinity test mid week for me.

Moral of the story - this sucked. I have an A. Lokani I hanging on by a thread. Given the recent legal shenanigans I hope it makes it as I doubt its replaceable

hillegom
09-19-2014, 11:53 PM
Sorry to hear about all your problems. Hopefully it will turn around.
So is cutting new tile in the house a standard practice? I know there was a lot of dust made in the demolition, but to cut new tiles in the house to add to the mess doesn't seem right to me.
My neighbour redid his tile and they hung plastic around the job to try to contain the dust. Most of it, can never totally mask everything off. But when the new tiles were cut, they were cut outside.

gregzz4
09-20-2014, 12:07 AM
So sorry to read this
I hope you get things turned around

mihaivapler
09-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Sorry to hear about all your problems. Hopefully it will turn around.
So is cutting new tile in the house a standard practice? I know there was a lot of dust made in the demolition, but to cut new tiles in the house to add to the mess doesn't seem right to me.
My neighbour redid his tile and they hung plastic around the job to try to contain the dust. Most of it, can never totally mask everything off. But when the new tiles were cut, they were cut outside.

They should use a wet saw to cut the tiles and go outside for when they use the grinder. Unfortunately most of the trades they don't care about your house.they make it easier for them and not to protect your house..just sad for all..the tank was looking awesome lots of colonies....

monza
09-20-2014, 04:01 AM
Wow, your like the reef tank punching bag. Sorry for your issues.