PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner Wrasse

Steve...
09-14-2014, 05:29 AM
Is it possible to keep cleaner wrasses in groups in a reef tank or is it going to be difficult?I think the biggest concern is how much food is in the tank? Besides the parasites its can pick off the fish, what else can these fish eat? Flake, nori or other food sources?

Aquattro
09-14-2014, 05:51 AM
Pretty sure you'll end up with one. They tend to kill each other off. We keep trying to pair them up at the LFS here, and so far one successful pairing in 2 years and dozens of attempts.
I read about a guy that added 20 to a tank to get a pair, ended up with one.

Steve...
09-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks for sharing!

Pretty sure you'll end up with one. They tend to kill each other off. We keep trying to pair them up at the LFS here, and so far one successful pairing in 2 years and dozens of attempts.
I read about a guy that added 20 to a tank to get a pair, ended up with one.

Madreefer
09-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Ever consider a neon goby? Much cheaper, better personalitys and do the same thing as cleaner wrasse. They're usually captive bred and the survival rates as Brad mentioned, are not the greatest for cleaner wrasse. They should be left in the ocean.

Steve...
09-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Ill have to do some research... Would they be fine with a orange spotted goby in the tank?

Ever consider a neon goby? Much cheaper, better personalitys and do the same thing as cleaner wrasse. They're usually captive bred and the survival rates as Brad mentioned, are not the greatest for cleaner wrasse. They should be left in the ocean.

Madreefer
09-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Ill have to do some research... Would they be fine with a orange spotted goby in the tank?

The 2 I had in my tank that died of old age were fine with my pink banded goby. Depends on size of tank maybe, mines 230G

Steve...
09-15-2014, 02:34 AM
Yes, my tank is very similar in size as well, hopefully it works out.

The 2 I had in my tank that died of old age were fine with my pink banded goby. Depends on size of tank maybe, mines 230G