PDA

View Full Version : Where to learn plumbing

zooz
09-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Hello,

So I am deciding to finally build a new tank with a sump this time. LFS are charging $1000 to do the plumbing on my 100G build 40 x 24 x 24. I rather learn and do it myself to feel a sense of ownership and have fun doing it. I'm just not sure on how to go about plumbing the sump and return. Anyone know any good sites, videos, books etc?

Proteus
09-10-2014, 10:14 PM
If your on fb. Go to Edmonton coral reef buy and sell. There's lots of locals to help

denny_C
09-10-2014, 10:51 PM
not sure about other lfs but concept charges $250 plus materials .

materials for your tank would probably run about $150-$200 if you have nothing already;)

come see me if youd like to get something done,as well if youd like a quick 5 minute course i charge nothing but a fresh coffee hehe;)

we are in the NE close to pices

cheers

denny

concept aquariums
403-230-7831

denny_C
09-10-2014, 10:52 PM
just noticed your title says edmonton but your location is calgary, none the less the offer still stands ;)

intarsiabox
09-10-2014, 11:16 PM
The first thing you need to decide on is the type of overflow system (herbie, durso, bean animal) you want and then go from there. Researching these topics will also show you how most of the plumbing is set up. Melev's Reef website is good for getting sump info as well. It's pretty easy to plumb PVC it's just a matter of knowing what pieces to buy and put lots of unions in so you can easily take things apart and adjust the piping.

Ulmo
09-11-2014, 03:18 AM
I plumbed my own system with zero experience, with a measuring tape, a hacksaw, and a cheapo mitre box. My system is fairly simple though you can see it on my blog. Just watch lots of YouTube videos and research the kind of system you want. I didn't drill any glass though so that is something I'd like to try yet. There lots of videos on this as well. Gluing PVC is easy and the instructions are on the glue. Break up your plumbing into lots of sections with unions for easier disassembly for maintenance and modifications.

Good luck, have fun.

Aquattro
09-11-2014, 03:50 AM
Plumbing on my tank took about 20 minutes and less than $30. Bulk heads came with tank, so those are more if needed.

The Guy
09-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Go see Denny, that's the best way, after his 5 minute course it'll be easy for you. He has all the parts you may need as well.

Kevotron
09-15-2014, 05:13 AM
Rona will be your best friend, they have most if not all the PVC connections you will need and they are very cheap too !
I have made so many trips there even the cashiers remembers me.

Ryanerickson
09-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Rona is a ok choice, plumbing wholesaler is usually quarter - half the price on PVC I think you have emco local not sure about corix. I think Denny would be your best bet he has experience and would know the best way to run the plumping optimal and good price for peace of mind. Good luck :)

zooz
09-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Go see Denny, that's the best way, after his 5 minute course it'll be easy for you. He has all the parts you may need as well.

Thanks everyone. Have been doing reading into this and took a trip to small rona by my work during lunch. Does anyone have Denny's contact info? It would be great to talk to someone about this in person.

reefwars
09-22-2014, 03:11 PM
I do! :-)

Call me on my cell as I'm off today 4034998708 or get me at the shop tues to sat 4032307831

Denny:)