PDA

View Full Version : Stand Builder

Jaws
08-27-2004, 10:45 PM
I need someone to build me a stand for my 180G tank. If anyone's interested, please contact me so we can discuss price. I've basically been ready to set up my tank for two months now but I still need a stand before it's a go. If anyone could please help me with this I would really appreciate it.

Fish
08-28-2004, 06:45 AM
Jaws,
You probably want to have something built more locally to you but if you are planning on being in Alberta my father in law does really excellent work. He is a cabinet maker by trade and he made the stand you see in my gallery. (he didn't intend it to be a tank stand but I cut through the top of it for my overflow :redface: ). He also made the canopy and canopy stand for my lights to my specifications.
He charges 2X the cost of material. Ie, if the wood cost $200 then he charges $200 for his labour - it seems like a pretty reasonable price but I can check and see if there's a canreef-member discount; however, it probably wont be as good as the guy-who-married-his-daughter discount :smile: .
Just an option,
- Chad

Jaws
08-28-2004, 03:21 PM
I wish I could find someone local. I'm hoping someone will respond to this. I'd like to set up the tank as soon as possible.

robbyville
08-28-2004, 05:27 PM
You may also want to call wendell (Zulu Prinicpal), quite a while back when I was just starting to plan my canopy I think he mentioned that he knew a reasonably priced builder.

hockey nut
08-28-2004, 08:52 PM
I have a friend in Victoria who is a cabinet builder. I could call him and see if he is interested on a side job. Pm me your number if you like and I will pass it on to him.

Fish Breath
08-29-2004, 06:56 PM
what are the dimensions of the tank

Jaws
08-29-2004, 07:53 PM
72" by 24" by 24"

Cap'n
08-29-2004, 09:07 PM
If you want to get the tank up right away you could build a simple 2x4 frame yourself and get a cabinet maker to build the skirt later. That's the stage I'm at right now, but I'm going to attempt the skirt and hood myself.

Lots of descriptions on the web of how other hobbyists have DIY'ed great stands, something to consider.

kuatto
08-29-2004, 10:22 PM
www.cnidarianreef.com

Look under "stand/canopy" looks real simple and strong.HTH :biggrin:

Jaws
08-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Looks great, however I don't really have access to tools and the stand i'd like built is a little more custom. I have an external overflow so i'd like a side cabinet built as well.