PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI system leaking

Timbits
09-04-2014, 07:31 AM
To everyone who uses RO/DI water, does your system start leaking when the filters get clogged?

I'm not talking about the seals of the filters for not closing them tight enough

But my system runs fine no leaks when I change the filters then after few months I notice it starts leaking at odd places, change the filters and it stops.

Just wondering if this happens to everyone?

Thanks

mark
09-04-2014, 11:34 AM
mine doesn't

Aquattro
09-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Nope.

hillbillyreefer
09-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Mine leaks randomly, whenever it wants, the jostling from changing filters makes it worse.
Yours wouldn't be an aquasafe would it.

I'm not bashing their product, I own three of their systems and have ordered 2 for friends.

hillegom
09-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Where exactly does it leak from?
Around the canister threads? Might need a new O ring, or just lubricate the O ring sparingly.
Connection to canister? Maybe new teflon tape, or not enough or too loose
John Guest fitting? Make sure the tubing is pressed in far enough, or it could just be faulty.
RO membrane container at the threads?
If it leaks at all, something is wrong and you will have to sleuth it out.
Otherwise, some day you will come home to a mess when/if it finally breaks/fails.

Timbits
09-05-2014, 09:15 AM
The strange thing is that I don't get is that when I replace the filters, the leaking stops!

sphelps
09-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Does your unit run all the time (pressure tank or float shut off) or do you just turn it on when you're actually making water?

Timbits
09-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Does your unit run all the time (pressure tank or float shut off) or do you just turn it on when you're actually making water?

Sorry forgot to say, I have it hooked up to the Faucet. So I only turn it on when I'm making water.

htfn
09-05-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm having a problem with mine, too. My filters get clog almost ever month or less and I don't get any water running from faucet or goes into reservoir tank. However I never see any leaks.

sphelps
09-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Sorry forgot to say, I have it hooked up to the Faucet. So I only turn it on when I'm making water.

Thought so, when the filters get dirty you build up more back pressure creating your leaks. If the unit was installed permanently with an auto shut off you would see the leaks all the time. Find out where the leaks are coming from and fix them, it's probably one or more of the threaded fittings, fix with Teflon.

hillegom
09-06-2014, 04:09 AM
htfn
What is your setup like? How many, what kind of filters do you have?
What is the micron rating of your particle filter?
Is the city working on the water lines in your area?

gregzz4
09-06-2014, 04:53 AM
The lines in your system may need to be trimmed back due to compression leaks if you've messed with them.
They should not leak for a long time, but could be due to fitting seating issues, or if you've messed with them a bunch of times
Re-seat all your lines and all should be good - remove a line from a fitting and trim the end off - then reseat the line by pushing it fully into the fitting
It's always a good idea to use some kind of lube and make sure the ends of the tubes are not sharp so they don't damage the o-rings inside the fittings

So, If you have enough slack in your lines, remove them from the fittings and trim them back a tiny bit. When you do so, make sure they have no sharp edges before you re-insert them into the fittings

I use locks to keep my lines from backing out

http://www.isopurewater.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/pic1812r.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0