PDA

View Full Version : Which frozen Mysis????

The Guy
09-04-2014, 12:03 AM
What frozen Mysis do you use and the reasons why you think it's best :question: I would do a poll but don't know how to set it up.

Ryanerickson
09-04-2014, 12:11 AM
Pe mysis high protein best mysis in my opinion and it's from okanagan lake

The Guy
09-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Pe mysis high protein best mysis in my opinion and it's from okanagan lake
Where do you buy it?

Ryanerickson
09-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Jl

apexifd
09-04-2014, 12:56 AM
king ed

Ron99
09-04-2014, 12:58 AM
I like PE mysis but find it's too big for many of my smaller fish so usually use Hikari.

dcw1sfu
09-04-2014, 01:39 AM
I like Hikari I find PE mysis smells bad for some reason where Hikari has no left over odor in the air after feeding it.

Ryanerickson
09-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Hikari 10.5 protein vs pe 69.5 protein. The pe does stink I agree

dcw1sfu
09-04-2014, 02:34 AM
Hikari 10.5 protein vs pe 69.5 protein. The pe does stink I agree

Hikari and PE are the same protein content. PE Mysis however lists their nutritional breakdown as a dry analysis whereas Hikari and the rest of the industry break it down as a wet analysis. It's a sneaky marketing gimmicks to make it look so much better when it really equates to the same values as a brand like Hikari.

Skimmer Juice
09-04-2014, 03:07 AM
I use pe and hikari . I use Pe strictly for my scooter blenny , and I use hikari for my pipefish , clownfish and mandrin . Use the pe as I think the scooter gets more food he is a pretty big scooter , and all my other fish dont touch it , to big for them.

Ryanerickson
09-04-2014, 03:33 AM
Hikari and PE are the same protein content. PE Mysis however lists their nutritional breakdown as a dry analysis whereas Hikari and the rest of the industry break it down as a wet analysis. It's a sneaky marketing gimmicks to make it look so much better when it really equates to the same values as a brand like Hikari.

How do they get away with it crazy

dcw1sfu
09-04-2014, 03:37 AM
How do they get away with it crazy

Yeh from what I've read the Hikari and PE Mysis are both caught from the same glacial region in Canada. So really the exact same Mysis (however PE are bigger more like the large version Hikari). Hikari however uses a different processing method, either way both quality foods however my wife can't stand the smell of the PE. Happy wife happy life =)

toytech
09-04-2014, 04:13 AM
Ive tried both and I like the hikari Mysis better , it stays on the crackers with cheese better . Fish don't seem to know the difference but they don't have as discerning a palate as I do.

gregzz4
09-04-2014, 04:25 AM
I used to only use PE Mysis, intil I found the Hikari stuff

I make my own cubes;
I rinse all my food, blend it, mix it, add stuff, play with it, until I like what I see
I then freeze it all in the little silicon cube trays

I found when I was exclusively using the PE stuff I had to rinse it so much with RO that I started to wonder why I was buying it ... :surprise:
It's greasy, and the stuff I'm rinsing down the drain is probably all they claim my fish will eat
After letting a slab melt in a bowl of RO, I'd try to rinse it but it just kept coming out the same

I tried some Hikari and the difference is big for me
I don't need to rinse it more than once ( although I haven't tried not rinsing it yet )

Plus, my fish love the smaller size of the Hikari over the PE stuff

I only use 'some' PE Mysis now in my mix, and add about the same of the Hikari
Some fish love the smaller size of the Hikari, and the big pigs enjoy the PE mixed in
I enjoy the lack of rinsing the Hikari and know my littler critters eat well

The last batch of food I made was 2 parts Hikari to 1 part PE ( plus all the other stuff I add )

Just my 5 cents

Sebae again
09-04-2014, 05:13 AM
Best frozen food I have used is Pacifica Plankton from Tim T, a sponsor here on Canreef. My fish have been the healthiest and most colourful since using the product for the past 8 or 9 years. If I run out , they won't eat any other frozen food. Just thought I would post this because it is more to the diet of our saltwater pets in the wild.

Wheelman76
09-04-2014, 05:42 AM
Yes , the Pacifica plankton from Tim T is great , the fish go nuts for that food.

The Guy
09-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Thanks all for the input, I'm almost out of frozen food, the Pacifica Plankton sounds interesting, maybe I'll give it a try. How's the cost compared to the others?

Aquattro
09-04-2014, 12:20 PM
I use both PE mysis and Tim's plankton. No idea what either costs, but both good food.

cav~firez22
09-04-2014, 02:55 PM
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pviQU38KkGw
This should help clear some stuff up.

TimT
09-05-2014, 01:26 AM
I use both PE mysis and Tim's plankton

Hmm... I use Tim's plankton too. :)

I started using it while wholesaling fish almost 12 years ago. I saw how great the food was and how the hard to get eating fish would eat it no problems. I would use it on wild seahorses to get them eating as well. I thought that it would be very beneficial for hobbyists to offer this high quality food to their fishes. It would help them have greater success with their tanks due to it's ability to strengthen a fishes immune system and enhance it's colouration. As an added benefit it promotes spawning too.

All my fish really like it and the corals go nuts for it too. I just put some frozen pieces into a cup of tank water to thaw. I gradually pour it into the tanks and the fish and corals go crazy. My present thoughts are that the "juice" which contains essential amino acids, fatty acids and lipids helps to feed the corals so I no longer rinse it. I do tend to get some amazing colours in my acros so I suspect the food could be contributing to it.

Here is a link to some info on the Plankton.

http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/pacifica-plankton/

Cheers,
Tim

intarsiabox
09-05-2014, 02:07 AM
Hmm... I use Tim's plankton too. :)

I started using it while wholesaling fish almost 12 years ago. I saw how great the food was and how the hard to get eating fish would eat it no problems. I would use it on wild seahorses to get them eating as well. I thought that it would be very beneficial for hobbyists to offer this high quality food to their fishes. It would help them have greater success with their tanks due to it's ability to strengthen a fishes immune system and enhance it's colouration. As an added benefit it promotes spawning too.

All my fish really like it and the corals go nuts for it too. I just put some frozen pieces into a cup of tank water to thaw. I gradually pour it into the tanks and the fish and corals go crazy. My present thoughts are that the "juice" which contains essential amino acids, fatty acids and lipids helps to feed the corals so I no longer rinse it. I do tend to get some amazing colours in my acros so I suspect the food could be contributing to it.

Here is a link to some info on the Plankton.

http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/pacifica-plankton/

Cheers,
Tim
Is there any Edmonton vendors that carry your plankton?

TimT
09-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Hi,

Yes, Red Coral has some available.

Cheers,
Tim

Aquattro
09-05-2014, 03:16 AM
Hi,

Cheers,
Tim

Does my vendor have any?

intarsiabox
09-05-2014, 03:16 AM
Hi,

Cheers,
Tim
There was a thread on here a couple weeks back that said the store was closed, I'll have to call Steve and find out for myself tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply!

Ron99
09-05-2014, 03:38 AM
Might be good to try it. Who carries it in the lower mainland?

TimT
09-05-2014, 04:30 AM
For the time being I am handling sales in the Lower Mainland.

Brad I will talk to your vendor.

Cheers,
Tim

rburns24
09-06-2014, 01:46 AM
-
Does anybody sell Pacifica Plankton in Ontario.
-

rburns24
09-07-2014, 07:51 PM
-
bump
-

mikellini
09-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Yeh from what I've read the Hikari and PE Mysis are both caught from the same glacial region in Canada. So really the exact same Mysis (however PE are bigger more like the large version Hikari). Hikari however uses a different processing method, either way both quality foods however my wife can't stand the smell of the PE. Happy wife happy life =)

Glacial region, Ha! Every time I see that in the PE advertising I laugh. They catch the mysis in Okanagan Lake, the boats anchor about 100m from my parents' house. The mysis were actually artificially introduced to the lake many years back with the hope of providing a food source for kokanee in the lake; problem was, the adult shrimp actually outcompeted the kokanee fry for food, and the kokanee stock in the lake crashed. Now companies (Hikari and PE included) receive government kickbacks to try and reduce the number of mysis in the lake to help the kokanee recover. All while they charge a premium for shrimp from "glacial-fed" lakes. More like gasoline/motor oil-fed.

Good fish food tho.

The Guy
09-07-2014, 11:26 PM
I just got some of Tim's Pacifica plankton today. I used about a quarter sized piece thawed in a small container of tank water and poured it in a bit at a time.
All my fish went nuts for it. I like not having to rinse in a net "PITA". I used it as Tim suggested and it was quick and easy. I'll probably use it mostly now, maybe Hikari's some times. :thumb:

smokinreefer
09-08-2014, 10:06 PM
ok, so how do I get some of this?

should I just contact you directly Tim?

The Guy
09-09-2014, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=smokinreefer;912642]ok, so how do I get some of this?
should I just contact you directly Tim?[/QUOTE

Send Tim a Pm and he'll get back to you, his business is in Chilliwack.

cbrine
09-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Hi,

Cheers,
Tim

Can you let me know who in Calgary sells this?
Im thinking Concept??

MitchM
09-14-2014, 12:28 PM
I picked some up from Wais about a week ago.

dcw1sfu
09-14-2014, 08:39 PM
For the time being I am handling sales in the Lower Mainland.

Brad I will talk to your vendor.

Cheers,
Tim

Hey Tim I would like to get some of this product does JL carry it or if not are they on the list to carry it sometime in the near future?