PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a sand sifting goby

Reeferluke
09-02-2014, 07:17 PM
So I have been battling brown algae on my sandbed for a couple of months now. So I'm half thinking of a sand sifting goby but I don't want anything that will spread sand everywhere in the tank. My tank is a mixed reef sps dominate with lots of zoas and acans on the sand bed. I Have a rusty angel a springer damsel and a green chromis for tank mates Tank is a 72 bow front and 20 gal sump. Any suggestions would be great thanks Luke

pinkreef
09-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Your zoos and acans will get sand on them unless you don't use the sugar sand. The smaller the goby the less mess imo. I had a yellow headed sand sifting goby once and he would bring the sand up about 8 inches.

Reef Pilot
09-02-2014, 10:22 PM
I've got an orange spot sleeper in each of my tanks that keeps my sand clean. Makes little mounds sometimes, but I only have mushrooms and palys on the bottom so doesn't matter.

intarsiabox
09-03-2014, 12:06 AM
I've got an orange spot sleeper in each of my tanks that keeps my sand clean. Makes little mounds sometimes, but I only have mushrooms and palys on the bottom so doesn't matter.

I would suggest the same. I had a few other types of gobies and some would take a mouthful of sand, swim to the top of the tank a spit it out everywhere. The orange spotted sleeper goby was suggested to me as being less prone to do this and in my case that proved to be true. My goby just stayed in one spot taking mouthfuls of sand and sifting right there on the bottom and then would swim off to a new section to continue on. Like any fish though there are no guarantees that they will all behave this way.

Reeferluke
09-03-2014, 01:15 AM
I was thinking a orange sleeper goby would work. Thanks for the info cheers Luke