PDA

View Full Version : Tuxedo urchin causing havoc with my frags

Reef Pilot
09-02-2014, 06:36 PM
My Tuxedo urchin does a good job of keeping my rocks clean, and so want to keep him. But he really moves around the tank, and occasionally finds his way up to my frag rack. He knocks them over, often right off the rack, and sometimes carries them off, too. So needless to say I have lost a lot of frags due to this urchin.

But like I said, I don't want to get rid of him. Any ideas or tips on how to keep him off the frag rack (plain eggcrate style)?

Craigdillman
09-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Let me know if u find one lol

Currently have my urchin carrying around my new 5 polyps zoa frag and they seem to be growing better on his head than anywhere in my tank so for now ...

Dearth
09-02-2014, 07:53 PM
I love my tuxedo urchin but it is also the reason I don't frag cause it likes to take them on scenic tours however if the frags are on egg crate I've seen them zip tied in place and if on the base of the tank I've seen plugs placed in weighted flat material (flat rock, thick plastic base drilled etc...) then either glued or zip tied in place.

Reef Pilot
09-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Hmmm, zip ties might be an idea. Thanks. If I could have them set so they just slip on and off a frag, and hold them just tight enough that the urchin can't knock them. I also have a Kole tang that I've seen push them up from underneath as he picks away at algae. That could work for him, too.

jason604
09-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Get rid of him IMO. Mines stabbed many zoas to death and frags. Got rid of it is the best thing I did

Reef Pilot
09-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Get rid of him IMO. Mines stabbed many zoas to death and frags. Got rid of it is the best thing I did
I had a couple of black long spined urchins that I got rid of. But I like this Tuxedo one. He does such a great job of keeping my rocks clean and polished. Otherwise, yes, he would be gone...

Dearth
09-02-2014, 10:34 PM
I had a couple of black long spined urchins that I got rid of. But I like this Tuxedo one. He does such a great job of keeping my rocks clean and polished. Otherwise, yes, he would be gone...

And mine actually has a personality as such it loves my yellowtail damsel because it cleans its stripes and it will stay stationary and flare its sides while the damsel cleans it

mike31154
09-03-2014, 01:46 AM
And mine actually has a personality as such it loves my yellowtail damsel because it cleans its stripes and it will stay stationary and flare its sides while the damsel cleans it

Interesting. I have a blue tux and a yellow tail damsel as well. Have never observed the damsel cleaning my urchin.

The first time I ever saw a blue tuxedo urchin at an LFS, I was pretty much determined to get one. With any urchin, you have to realize that they're going to roam around & mess with whatever they come into contact with (save maybe anemones). You either deal with the carnage or dispose of the urchin. I don't have any super valuable sps, so not an issue in my tank. Might even consider getting a second, maybe different colour tux.

Dearth
09-03-2014, 01:53 AM
It's weird but it appears to be a relationship that works for both and appears to be relatively rare on RC some reefers have noticed a symbiotic relationship between urchins and fish but it's very rare

Slyguy00
09-03-2014, 03:57 AM
A small dab of super glue onto the rack will hold it in place enough so that the urchin can't remove them, but is still easily removable by hand.