PDA

View Full Version : Threadfin Butterfly Feeding

intarsiabox
08-27-2014, 03:05 AM
I've had a threadfin butterfly for a couple of weeks now and it seems to have trouble eating anything but frozen brine shrimp. He tries to eat Mysis and soft pellet food but after trying to eat it for a second or two he spits it out. Nori sheets are also ignored. He's also turned into a very lazy fish and will only eat the brine shrimp if I put it in front of his nose. If it sinks too far he'll watch it float away and then look back up to the turkey baster for the next one to drop out. The first week he swam all over the tank for the food. Anyway, in the 10 or so years I've been keeping SW fish I've never wanted to use flake food but I'm thinking the butterfly would have an easier time eating it. Does anyone else successfully feed their butterflies flake foods? What brand? Thx

rayjay
08-27-2014, 03:49 AM
You'd probably be a lot better off feeding it clams from the grocery store.
Cut one in half and place it in the tank for feeding, but remove anything not eaten as it can foul the tank quite quickly.
It took me years to get my butterflys on to eating spirulina flake and one, my copperband, never did eat flake food in the ten or eleven years I had him.

intarsiabox
08-27-2014, 11:53 PM
You'd probably be a lot better off feeding it clams from the grocery store.
Cut one in half and place it in the tank for feeding, but remove anything not eaten as it can foul the tank quite quickly.
It took me years to get my butterflys on to eating spirulina flake and one, my copperband, never did eat flake food in the ten or eleven years I had him.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I'm not sure on the long term health benefits of just eating enriched brine shrimp.

rayjay
08-28-2014, 12:16 AM
See if you can get frozen PE Mysis as it's an excellent food.

intarsiabox
08-28-2014, 12:25 AM
See if you can get frozen PE Mysis as it's an excellent food.

Already tried that. He ate one spit it out and won't even look at it now. My other fish on the other hand love it.