PDA

View Full Version : Nem rant

tlhood
08-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Grrr so frustrated right now. I bought this beautiful nem probably in.... I want to say February.... and it was teeeeny tiny. Like, maybe the size of a decent cookie. Now it's a freaking MONSTER and I am debating getting rid of it altogether.

It is the centerpiece of my tank, but it is pretty much taking over the whole thing. I have had to move all my sps because it decided to stretch out and sting it all, it tried to eat a piece of my birdsnest and actually ended up puncturing itself, and now it is starting to sting my toadstools and mushrooms.

It hasn't ever split, and I am afraid to split it myself in case I end up killing it. Then I would just feel bad. The con to getting rid of it though is twofold. I'm super attached to everything in my tank, and I would have so much empty space for sps but the stuff I've got isn't doing so hot anyways. blarghhh!!!!!!

end rant.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/tabkatz/nem.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/tabkatz/media/nem.jpg.html)

SoloSK71
08-22-2014, 07:58 PM
wish I had that problem :) I have not had the courage to get even one ...

Charles

tlhood
08-22-2014, 08:20 PM
I was a bit when I first got it, but never had any problems. I was pretty sure I was going to lose it when it got its oral disk/mouth ripped up by the birdsnest, and even had a friend go over and check on it since I was out of town. It just healed up and just has a tentacle fused to the mouth. It's a bada$$ like a honey badger.

I love it, but its a big PITA right now. I almost want to get a bigger tank just so I can keep it. But that wouldn't be possible for another few years.

duncangweller
08-22-2014, 08:24 PM
I got rid of mine for the same reason. I really liked it and enjoyed its movement in the current but I wanted to increase my SPS so it had to go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pinkreef
08-22-2014, 10:59 PM
If you want it off the rock, I've heard ice applied the the attachment will make them unattach. also direct flow, but you don't know when it will
unattach in that case. Is it a bubble tip? I'll look after it for you. :wink:

Dearth
08-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Every Nem I have had I have killed I can't them alive no how no way.... But I think there are a lot of reefers feeling the same way you do as our LFS is loaded with nem's and big ones too mostly the carpet variety

tlhood
08-23-2014, 12:33 AM
If you want it off the rock, I've heard ice applied the the attachment will make them unattach. also direct flow, but you don't know when it will
unattach in that case. Is it a bubble tip? I'll look after it for you. :wink:

I've gotten it off the rock before, just by massaging the foot with my thumb. It just likes sitting at the top and stretching out! It is a bubble tip.