PDA

View Full Version : Majano removal

rzadun
08-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Looking for Bristletail file fish. Anyone see any at LFS. in Calg.

hillegom
08-17-2014, 04:36 PM
I had some majanos. I was lucky and only saw 3
Found a shell that was just right and placed it over one of them. The majano afixed itself onto the shell and I chucked it. Same for the other two.
Trail and error. Took two weeks.
If you have a lot, then a filefish would be better alright. But they do eat softies as well.

input80
08-17-2014, 08:37 PM
I had some majanos. I was lucky and only saw 3
Found a shell that was just right and placed it over one of them. The majano afixed itself onto the shell and I chucked it. Same for the other two.
Trail and error. Took two weeks.
If you have a lot, then a filefish would be better alright. But they do eat softies as well.

+1,,,,,,,, I have a file fish that I had to banish from one of the main tanks, once the aptasia were gone it started on my zoas. I do the shell thing on both tanks & just throw it in with the filefish, he takes them pretty fast.

Cujo#31
08-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Try Muriatic Acid. $9.00 fora litre of it found in paint department Canadian Tire. Put a bit into pipette or syringe, turn off circ pimps, and squirt a bit on them. THAT STUFF IS BLOODY AMAZING and did not set off tank chemistry even the tiniest little bit.
It will kill anything it hits but dilutes very quickly but be careful. If it does get on a coral it will only kill spot it hits, not whole colony death.

Aquattro
08-18-2014, 03:45 AM
I also use acid. Filefish, while great for aptaisia, never ate mojanos in my tank. Acid, on the other hand, ate them up real good :)

FishyFishy!
08-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Get a seringe/needle, fill it with vinegar and inject the majano with the vinegar. Works amazing. This also worked with aptaisia.

Though im sure the acid works well, handling it is dangerous and the possibilities of an error are quite large lol

acepumping
08-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Take rock out and use a torch lol!!!

Titan445
08-18-2014, 05:27 PM
I had tons of majano in my tank bought a Bristle tail file fish and he has taken care of pretty much all of them..Bought him in Calgary at Oceans. I recommend this fish for this problem.
Thanks