PDA

View Full Version : iD HELP PLEASE

kris_willard
08-25-2004, 04:03 AM
I found this crazylooking white thing under a rock of zoos and have no idea what in the world it is does anyone have any ideas?

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1125whitthing-med.JPG?3486

marie
08-25-2004, 04:18 AM
It looks like a sponge to me.

monza
08-25-2004, 04:29 AM
I have the same sort of thing but in yellow. Started your size and now covers
a patch of live rock about 7cm X 10cm or so. A sponge, pretty cool and the critters love to hang there.

Dave

Bob I
08-25-2004, 03:31 PM
The first zoanthid rock I bought some years ago had the same thing. I have been trying to get rid of it ever since. It spreads everywhere, and sends out two inch extensions that wave in the current. I would much sooner not have it. :mad:

danny zubot
08-26-2004, 07:50 PM
From the middle of my zoa rock I have something that sounds like what Bob just decribed, but I can't see any mass that resembles the picture, it could be hidden amoung my zoas. I have noticed in the past couple of days that the longer the appendage gets the less harty my zoa colony looks in it imediate area. If the zoa continue to suffer I will attempt to remove the appendage and see what happens.

kris_willard
08-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Seems to me that it is a songe and i have been advised that the besty way to remove it is to pull thepiece in question out of the waterfor a couple of mins and that should kill it.

Aquattro
08-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Seems to me that it is a songe and i have been advised that the besty way to remove it is to pull thepiece in question out of the waterfor a couple of mins and that should kill it.

Curious why you want to kill it... I have a few of these, and they've done very well for years now.

kris_willard
08-26-2004, 08:08 PM
Ive been told that they tend to grow very fast and can smother corals to death. I dont plan on killing it unless it becomes a problem.

Aquattro
08-26-2004, 08:38 PM
The ones I have look just like that and haven't grown much at all. I do have some very fast growing sponge, but it doesn't like lots of light and stays under the rockwork for the most part. Helps glue all the rock together. In fact, none of my other sponges grow quickly at all. I have a bright yellow one that's been in my tank for years now, and a shiny black sponge grows beside it. Colors contrast quite well.

AJ_77
08-26-2004, 09:23 PM
I also haven't had a sponge-related problem, with the sweeper variety or otherwise. Got lots of them, but they don't seem to bother a thing, and grow slowly like Brad says.

Now that Sponge Bob that my kids watch - there's a bit of a problem. I think I might leave him out of the water a few minutes...