PDA

View Full Version : Coral 'parasites' - copepods?

SoloSK71
08-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Has anyone heard of these? Went to pick up a frag today and the owner told me that I had to dip the bubble frag I got from him because he has 'parasite copepods" in his tank.

The frag is sitting in QT after a dip in Coral Rx, I didn't see anything come off after 7 minutes.

Charles

whatcaneyedo
08-17-2014, 03:57 PM
I recall a thread about copepods that were accused of eating zoanthids but I've never actually witnessed anything like that in my 10 years. There are however many parasites and pests in this hobby so dipping and using a QT is still an excellent idea.

Dearth
08-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Found this it might help talks about parasitic copepods on corals

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/corals

Slyguy00
08-17-2014, 06:50 PM
I recall a thread about copepods that were accused of eating zoanthids but I've never actually witnessed anything like that in my 10 years. There are however many parasites and pests in this hobby so dipping and using a QT is still an excellent idea.

I posted awhile back about amphipods eating my zoas. Not sure about the copepods. But those big amphipods will certainly eat zoas if left un attended. Id just get a corris or melanarus wrasse. Those things will destroy any bugs within days.

brotherd
08-18-2014, 03:28 AM
Dana Riddle did some research available on Advanced Aquarist.

SoloSK71
08-18-2014, 04:19 AM
Found this it might help talks about parasitic copepods on corals

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/corals

That helped. Nothing showed in the QT after dipping so they didn't make the transfer out of his tank.

Charles

clermont
08-18-2014, 06:23 AM
I asked for help identifying something that came out of my hammer around 2 weeks ago on here. My hammer looks much better now and I think it was a copepod or amphipod. There are pictures attached in the thread.
Pretty sure this was bothering my rasta zoa's which ended up melting and moved onto my hammer.